Mike, Dan and special guest Carey Haber process the emotions of the Islanders losing three straight games and defenseman Ryan Pulock to injury as they open UBA Arena.
They talk about how badly the team has looked in losses to the Devils, Lightning and Panthers and whether there are any silver linings. Carey walks them through some underlying numbers that tell where the team is failing and how they might be able to turn things around.
Later, Mike and Dan discuss the one-of-a-kind exit of Leo Komarov, a one-of-a-kind player who may be more fondly remembered after his career is over than he was during his often maddening time with the Islanders. They also (finally) talk about the paper transaction trade of Johnny Boychuk to Buffalo and how Lou Lamoriello was able to seize another opportunity.
Finally, they look toward the opening of the Islanders new home and all the changes it will mean for now and the future.
CONTENT WARNING: This episode contains explicit language because there’s a lot going on right now.
- Dropping four in a row sucks, but this sucks worse.
- There’s only one Leo Komarov, man. The dude just wanted to play.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Escape from the A-Bomb House” by Less Than Jake.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.