No, the Islanders did not go through some lengthy power play slump to necessitate the obligatory pun headline, there was just a power outage at the Prudential Center in Newark last night. Preseason game canceled*. Thursday night plans ruined for...dozens, surely.
*LHH styleguide note: I’m a believer in single-L “canceled” rather than the luxurious double-L “cancelled.” The official site and countless colourful Brits disagree.
- So seriously, they called the game. It will not be rescheduled. Power outage. Better get that checked out. [Newsday]
- Had there been a game, this is who would’ve played and what we would’ve looked for. [Isles | LHH]
- Since there was no game, I hope you caught Dan and Mike riffing on Lou secrecy, arena partners (sponsors) meetings and general wonder about Semyon Varlamov’s timeline. [Islanders Anxiety podcast]
- And here’s the Newsday podcast with Andrew Gross previewing the season. [Island Ice]
- Expanding a bit on Barry Trotz’s comments from the other day about what the first line can bring with Kyle Palmieri and a recovered Anders Lee. [AM NY]
- The Isles are contenders to go deep in the playoffs...just like the Oilers? [NHL]
- And well hey, the Isles start off as #4 in the NHL “power rankings.” [NHL]
- Mike has mentioned this a couple of times in terms of betting, but here’s a fantasy spin on how Ilya Sorokin could be a pickup, especially with Varlamov starting off nursing an injury. [NHL Fantasy-focused stuff]
- All those guys who were waived the other day? They’ve cleared waivers and are officially assigned to Bridgeport. [Isles] Will more waivers come today? And a contract for PTO Erik Gustafsson?
- Because the Islanders dumped them and went on to better things last spring, it’s easy to forget the Penguins actually won the division and played pretty well in that series. Mike Sullivan says the aging Pens are absolutely still contenders. [Athletic]
- The Islanders were actually part of three of the 32 Thoughts, with “they know teams would be interested in Ross Johnston if he were waived” being one of them. [Sportsnet]
- Carey Price has entered the player assistance program for undisclosed (not that they should be) challenges. He’s not only a star, but much beloved and respected, so in a weird way this seems to be garnering more awareness for the sentiment that it’s okay to seek help when you need it. [Sportsnet | NHL]
- Justin Bourne expands on one of the points Robin Lehner raised — unprescribed access and dependence on Ambien — and how it reflects the challenge players (and teams) have in trying to get players proper sleep. [Sportsnet]
- How these flailing Eastern teams can somehow return to the playoffs. [NHL]
- In the never-ending saga, the Sabres are reportedly willing to make part of a Jack Eichel trade conditional. [TSN]
- Former Sabre (and Leaf, and Oiler, and...) Tyler Ennis went pointless in three preseason games but picked up a contract from Ottawa anyway. [NHL]
- Fellow PTO and former Leaf Alex Galchenyuk has landed a deal with Arizona. [NHL]
- The Senators have a lot invested in getting Brady Tkachuk signed long-term. But they really just need to get him signed, period. [Sportsnet]
- Henrik Lundqvist, who was basically forced to retire due to heart ailments, is “in a good place.” [NHL]