Preseason does not matter. Now that we have announced that given, man, it sounds like the New York Islanders are in mid-season form. I have not watched much of the preseason, but the Islanders keep winning or else dominating the game.
It has been mostly the NHL regulars populating the scoresheets after these games. Whichever goalie has played has played well, Cory Schneider’s third period on Saturday aside. Schneider redeemed himself with a full-game shutout last night against the Philadelphia Flyers. If Semyon Varlamov is unable to go and Schneider has to dress for the beginning of the season, hopefully, he can keep up this pace.
- The goals last night came from Anthony Beauvillier and Josh Bailey on the power play, with Anders Lee tallying an even-strength goal. [Islanders]
- The captain played his first game since tearing his ACL last March. [Newsday | NHL]
- It was also Zdeno Chara’s first game in orange and blue since 2001. [Islanders 5 Takeaways]
- Lee rejoined the lineup on a night that Barry Trotz ran out what will likely be his top two lines. Also, we got to see Chara line up next to Noah Dobson. [LHH]
- If you’re so inclined, last night’s game preview contained the full roster that the Islanders sent to Bridgeport. [Islanders]
- Dom L’s model finally likes the Islanders and has them as a 100-point, Metro-winning team. [The Athletic]
- If those expectations frighten you a little bit, have no fear: Evolving Hockey’s model puts the Islanders in fifth with 95 points, behind the second-place New Jersey Devils. [Evolving Hockey]
- LISTEN: Arthur Staple welcomes a guest cohost to No Sleep Til Belmont: Michael Grabner! Staple talks to Grabs about his career and then about the additions of Chara and Zach Parise, as well as how far Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech have come.
- Our friend, Michael Leboff, ranks all 32 NHL teams in terms of the potential payout. Our Islanders are at no. 4. [Action Network]
- As Leboff wrote, the Islanders are no longer an underdog. Adam Proteau thinks the same. He says that they have earned it. [THN on SI]
- WATCH: While Oliver Wahlstrom’s roster status to start the season remains uncertain, you can watch his rookie season highlights, compiled by another of our friends, Spizz. I believe that he has a full post about Wahlstrom coming, too. [YouTube]
- William Dufour made his Saint John Sea Dogs debut. That and more prospect updates. [Islanders Prospect Report]
- This (2) Day(s Ago) in Isles History: Lee was named the 15th captain in franchise history (2018).
- This week, Stan Fischler remembers one of my early favorites: the underrated Swedish defenseman Kenny Jonsson. [Maven’s Memories]
- With the NHL moving to new networks, I’m all discombobulated. Luckily, The Athletic put together a little viewing guide.
- 30 out of 32 NHL arenas are allowing full capacity for home games this year. ESPN gathered intel about how each arena is handling full capacity in the midst of a pandemic. [ESPN]
- The Seattle Kraken now have an SBN blog, which means they’re an official team. Stop by Davy Jones Locker Room for Jordan Eberle updates. Read their welcome message.