After an insanely long break, which featured three off days (two scheduled, one apparently granted as a bonus for a double-shutout finish to the first leg of this 13-game trip), the Islanders are finally back in game action
tonight early afternoon today in Nashville.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
NOTE: Depending on activity and, um, editor availability, we may toss up a separate game thread or may just consider this post the game thread. You’ll know when we know. Surely the beloved new commenting system will keep you in suspense.
- Barry Trotz talked with media before the Isles headed to Nashville, addressing lineup availability and his many, many years there, and piling on praise for Roman Josi:
Trotz Media Availability pic.twitter.com/SZfA0AgTGW— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 29, 2021
- Here’s the official site preview for today’s 1:30 p.m. EDT start. [Isles]
- Zach Parise did a full practice, but with his recent back stiffness he’s technically a gametime decision. (Aren’t we all...) [Isles]
- Semyon Varlamov will be dressed today for the first time this season, and he’s “skinny” now and ready to resume being part of the NHL’s top tandem. [Athletic | Post]
- The Isles are rested and ready to continued their points streak. [Newsday]
- Ross Johnston’s contract is Identity Line insurance, maybe. [Newsday]
- In Bridgeport, Arnaud Durandeau is using his speed and digging into the details of the game. [CT Post]
- Maven’s Memories: How Chico Resch became a goalie. [Isles]
- Your daily arena hype. We’re just about three weeks away:
"Everybody that comes in here has that same level of amazement."— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 30, 2021
In this episode of Built for Fans by Fans, we hear from Tony Sciortino, Crew Chief, & Dan Bura, Head Rigger, from Local 1 Stagehands. pic.twitter.com/tD2R8VZHvK
Last night’s NHL scores include the Hurricanes and Panthers remaining undefeated. Damn it. The Rangers and Capitals also won, damn it.
- The Kings suddenly have two major injuries on defense and will be looking for help. (Thomas Hickey, anyone? #freeHickey) [TSN]
- Upon reflection, Jordan Binnington agrees that swinging his goalie stick toward an opponent’s head is probably a bad idea. His coach calls it stupid. [Sportsnet]
- The Leafs and Morgan Rielly have joined the eight-year-defenseman-extension party, as Taranna goes all in on him being part of the solution. [PPP | Sportsnet]
- An assortment of topics, including: Now that he’s off to a healthy and productive start, is Vladimir Tarasenko still trade bait? (Yes, but the Blues don’t care.) [Sportsnet]
- Blackhawks ownership is requesting that their former video coach/sex offender’s name be X’d off the 2010 Stanley Cup engraving, citing precedent when Peter Pocklington snuck his father’s name on to the Cup before the league X’d it out. [ESPN] The Hockey Hall of Fame is “moving forward” with that request. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- Panthers GM Bill Zito discussed how they decided to let Joel Quenneville coach his final game with the Panthers. [Sportsnet]
- The NHL has decided not to hold Kevin Cheveldayoff accountable for the neglect of the Kyle Beach case, but perhaps he still owes Beach an apology. [Sportsnet]
- The father of the late Steve Montador has filed a new wrongful death suit against the NHL. [TSN]