By the time you go to bed tonight, the New York Islanders’ five-day reprieve will be more than half complete—which is good, because I need me some Islanders hockey! Never before have I so looked forward to a game against the Nashville Predators.
Also, be forewarned: The Elsewhere section is a little rough today.
- The Islanders gave Ross Johnston another four-year contract, set to kick in next season. All about the waiver-proofing. [LHH | Islanders]
- “The Architect,” Bill Torrey, and Keith Aucoin were named to the AHL Hall of Fame. [Islanders]
- LISTEN: On this episode of No Sleep Til Belmont, Michael Grabner’s last as a guest host, the topics discussed include Ilya Sorokin’s back-to-back shutouts and Zdeno Chara’s struggles.
- LISTEN: And Dan and Mike discuss similar topics, as well as Sorokin’s lovable demeanor and Josh Bailey passing Bobby Nystrom for most Islanders points all-time. [LHH]
- Ain’t this a sight to see!
- [CONTENT WARNING: SA] The big news from yesterday: The results of the Chicago Blackhawks’ internal investigation regarding the 2010 incident of sexual assault were released, and they were damning. GM Stan Bowman and Executive VP Al MacIsaac are out for their mishandling of the situation, and Bowman is also out as GM of Team USA’s Olympic team. [Second City Hockey | The Athletic]
- [CONTENT WARNING: SA] The NHL fined the Blackhawks $2 million for their mishandling of the situation, and Commissioner Gary Bettman plans to speak with Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Chevaldayoff, a Blackhawks assistant GM at the time, and Florida Panthers head coach Joel Quenneville, then the Chicago head coach, about their role in the mishandling. They were both present at the fateful meeting after the Blackhawks clinched the Western Conference. [NHL]
- [CONTENT WARNING: SA] You can read the full report of the former federal prosecutor here. [Jenner & Block]
- [CONTENT WARNING: SA] How did the Blackhawks get here? Well, they put “team performance above all else”—all else. They waited three weeks even to address the situation when it happened because they were on a Stanley Cup run. [The Athletic]
- [CONTENT WARNING: SA] But the franchise promises to do better, and the franchise acknowledged that John Doe 1 deserved better. [Blackhawks]
- Now for something totally different and much more light-hearted: Are the Toronto Maple Leafs a total disaster? [PPP]