The Islanders will try to pull off a four-point weekend in Vegas tonight following last night’s 3-0 win over the Coyotes in Glendale.
Vegas is off to a stumbling start, worsened by injuries to key players. Though on the schedule this is a daunting challenge for the Isles, conditions may be ripe for them to pull it off.
If they do, they’d emerge 3-2-1 from this opening six-game road stretch (they’ll head home before resuming the rest of the 13-game road journey), which would be impressive theft given their uneven play thus far.
It’s a late one — even later than last night, as Arizona declines the sleep-warping social experiment of Daylight Savings Time. Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
About last night:
- Not particularly pretty, and at times boring by design, but a much-needed two points. [LHH]
- First shutout of the season for Ilya Sorokin. [Newsday]
- Three Takeaways: Identity Line scores on the counter, top-six line shuffle produces, Sorokin puts up the wall. [Isles] Rapid Recap [Isles]
- “It’s one of those nights I think we deserved something to show for it,” Coyotes head coach André Tourigny said. [Arizona Republic]
- Barry Trotz post-game:
️ Trotz Postgame Availability ️ pic.twitter.com/NlX9THTyrz— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 24, 2021
Looking ahead: Vegas
Keep tabs on Golden Knights news through our sibling site, Knights On Ice.
- Previewing tonight’s game. Based on Barry Trotz’s comments yesterday and last night, and Sorokin’s workload last night, I’d say there’s a good chance Sorokin starts again. [Isles]
- Tonight’s opponent’s last game was a loss to the Oilers, who are feeling vindicated and confident amid an undefeated start. [Sportsnet]
- That makes three losses in a row for Vegas, and a continuing pileup of injuries (Zach Whitecloud the latest, joining Mark Stone, Max Pacioretty and Alec Martinez). [Knights on Ice]
- Among their ills has been a struggling power play. [Las Vegas Review Journal]
- Andy Greene approaches 1,000 (regular season) NHL games. [Newsday]
In his Sunday notes column, Larry Brooks reflects on his interactions with Mike Bossy over the years and empties the notebook with some new quotes. [Post]
It was a full schedule last night, with the Hurricanes, Penguins, Rangers and Devils among the Metro teams picking up wins.
- The big story for the league last night was the home opener for the Seattle Kraken, as that city and its beautiful new arena finally got to celebrate their long-awaited franchise. The atmosphere was electric, despite a home team loss. [Sportsnet | NHL]
- Fan (and celeb) love abounds in Seattle. [Sportsnet] It was an all-day party. [ESPN]
- The Leafs laid an egg in Pittsburgh last night, losing 7-1 and questioning whether they really are the greatest team on earth. [Sportsnet]
- Jack Eichel’s camp is losing patience and considering filing a grievance. [Sportsnet] They hope to make one more pitch to Buffalo management to allow him to get his preferred surgery. [ESPN]