The Islanders are in Columbus tonight to face the Blue Jackets, who have begun their post-Tortorella therapy sessions with a 2-1-0 start. It’s been a pandemic since we last saw the Blue Jackets, who are forced (back) into the Metro due to the (mis)fortunes of geography.
Columbus is seen as a rebuilding team and a projected basement-dweller, so anything they can do to change or delay that fate should please the home fans.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
- Preview tonight’s game. Anders Lee was “probable” but we’ll learn more today. [Isles]
- Even if Keiffer Bellows — who stepped in for Lee — sits again, Barry Trotz understands his importance. [Newsday]
- Bobby Nystrom talks about Mike Bossy after news of his lung cancer diagnosis. [Post]
- Bridgeport Report: From their three-in-three weekend. [Isles]
- (Yester)day in Isles history: At long last, Bryan Trottier’s number 19 is retired before a game with the Penguins, who he mercifully helped win a couple of Cups so they could feel legit. [Isles]
- On Sorokin’s much-needed win and the D-pair shuffling. [Athletic]
- The Blue Jackets remain without Max Domi, but they hope speed can still be part of their advantage. [Dispatch]
- A look at the Isles from the Blue Jackets perspective. [Jackets Cannon]
- More on the Blackhawks, and how the Islanders sent them further into a death spiral. [Athletic]
- The Sabres are off to a nice start and are outshooting teams while winning. Is it a fluke? Is it “greasy goals”? Discuss. [Athletic]
- NHL Power Rankings: Just like that, Florida is #1 and the Isles are down to #13. [NHL]
- Blake Wheeler is out with Covid and because this long global nightmare will never end, the Jets are expecting to learn of more positive cases. [TSN]
- In the Montreal crush of media after their 0-4 start, Marc Bergevin says the Canadiens have no plans to make changes. [NHL | TSN]
- Adding to the Canadiens’ woes: Joel Edmndson will take a leave of absence as his father battles cancer, and they know Shea Weber is a longshot to return at all, ever. [Sportsnet]
- A day after downplaying his injury, the Oilers placed Mike Smith on IR. [TSN]
- Great news for women’s hockey: ESPN+ will stream the entire PHF season. [Ice Garden]