Despite the 0-2 start, the sky did not fall this weekend, a fairly quiet one for the Islanders and the rest of the NHL. The Islanders visit Chicago (0-2-1) and Columbus (2-0) on Tuesday and Thursday to try to right things. Then Arizona awaits on Saturday.
- The Casey Cizikas line has struggled, with two different left wingers. Could Matt Martin’s return be the answer? [Newsday]
- Other Panthers post-mortems: [LHH recap | 3 Takeaways | Isles recap | Newsday]
- Despite the two season-opening losses, the Isles appreciate looser restrictions while traveling on the road this season. They even get to see some reporters face to face! [Newsday]
- The Bridgeport Islanders finished the weekend with a shootout loss. Anatolii Golyshov and Michael Dal Colle scored. [B-Islanders] Here is how they lined up.
- #Iceporn: Painting the ice at the new arena:
I’m just happy Anatolii Golyshev’s still here.
This is adorable! Just hours before going out and scoring his first goal for the #Isles organization, Anatoly Golyshev was celebrating Russian Father’s Day with his family (and a home decor shopping trip) pic.twitter.com/Cms9ZhQx6M— Nicole Shirman (@nicolefshirman) October 18, 2021
Imagine if Adam Pelech had multiple but sporadic HUGE goals on the way to various championships, and that’s how you might understand Ken Morrow’s place in Isles history.
Last night’s NHL score was... the Senators beating the Stars. That’s it.
- Fentanyl and cocaine contributed to Jimmy Hayes’ death, and his family wants that known in the hopes of preventing at least one more similar tragedy. If you have even one addict among your family or friends then you understand. [Boston Globe | Post]
- Kaapo Kakko is on IR and Ryan Strome is also out (Covid protocol) as they prepare to face the Leafs. [Post]
- Nikita Kucherov might also have an injury. [TSN]
- Don’t ever change, Toronto-centric Canadian media: Auston Matthews looked “dominant in drills.” [TSN]
- 29-year-old John Klingberg may be a tad late to the “I’m a defenseman and I get all the money” game. Doesn’t hurt to ask! [Sportsnet]
- Greiss almighty made 40 saves to defeat the Canucks. [TSN]
- Lou would never stand for this: Leafs will “relax” game-day dress code. [Sportsnet]