The Islanders are an eighth of the way through the season and, with last night’s sweep at the hands of the Capitals, wake up today below .500.
It’s still “early” in this shortened season, and they fell to the depleted but still undefeated division leaders, but...woof.
A weekend back-to-back in Philadelphia looms.
- About last night: Early 3-0 lead blown with a five-goal second-period implosion. But, Barry Trotz put Oliver Wahlstrom and Kieffer Bellows in, and Oliver scored his first goal! [LHH | Isles | NHL | Newsday | Japers’ Rink]
- Trotz: “I didn’t think we were as bad as [the five-goal implosion looks], but it all happened all at once and you get into stunned mode. Our poise, our confidence has been rattled and we need to pull that together. We’re not going to get outside help.”
- Games-played milestones for Anders Lee (500) and Josh Bailey (ties Clarke Gillies). [Isles | Newsday]
- (Yester)day in Isles history: Denis Potvin passes Bobby Orr, as nature intended. [Isles]
Barry Trotz:— Tom Gulitti (@TomGulittiNHL) January 29, 2021
“This is a punch in the mouth and an upper cut to the jaw and you’ve just got to pick yourself up off the floor because no one else is going to do it. "
Heard on ice after penalty call: "That is so fucking bad!" Mathew Barzal given 10-minute misconduct.— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) January 29, 2021
Last night’s NHL scores include the Bruins dumping the Penguins, the Flyers denigrating the Devils, and the Rangers depressing the Sabres in OT.
- Today in COVID land: After Vegas’ coaching staff was pulled last game, the second Blues-Knights game was postponed due additional Knights people on the list. [NHL]
- And the Riveters are pulling out of the NWHL mini-season after positive COVID tests. [Sportsnet]
- Jim Rutherford suddenly resigns as Penguins GM. [Pens] Their coach and their captain reflect and react. [Pens]
- The Rutherford era in Pittsburgh was eventful, never boring, and ended the way it began. [PensBurgh]
- But things are looking up: The Penguins recalled It’s Pronounced Church-man. [Pens]
- Maybe Elias Pettersson is breaking out and the Canucks will follow? [Sportsnet]
- This leaked a few weeks ago, but officially now, Jimmy Howard retired. [NHL]