The Islanders visit the Washington Capitals tonight for the first time this season and the first of two-game series down in D.C. The Caps, as previously noted, will be for both games without captain Alex Ovechkin, top-six center Evgeny Kuznetsov, top-four defenseman Dmitry Orlov, and starting goalie Ilya Samsonov. Time to pounce.
Capitals’ new third jersey will debut Tuesday vs New York Islanders. Will be worn 7 total times this season. pic.twitter.com/NeqROluvKy— Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) January 25, 2021
The game tonight will be on national TV, NBCSN, and in it, the Capitals will wear their reverse retros for the first time. FIG Picks here.
Also, look out for a new episode of Islanders Anxiety.
- Let’s look ahead to ten hours from now. [Islanders]
- The Islanders listed Anthony Beauvillier as day-to-day with a lower-body injury. [Islanders]
- Whether Beauvillier dresses, coach Barry Trotz promised lineup changes tonight. [Newsday]
- Hear more from Trotz:
"We have success as a group when everybody contributes. Some guys have to contribute offensively and some guys will have to do it with the physical play, the checking prowess, those type of things. Whatever you bring to the table, you better bring it.”— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 25, 2021
Trotz ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/YlxnskwtKf
- Dan’s Back & Forth examines the week that the Islanders just had, 2–1–0, and looks ahead to four road games against two teams.
- Josh Ho-Sang’s future with the Islanders remains open-ended. Alright! [Newsday]
- William Dufour and Alexander Ljungkrantz had big weeks and Ruslan Iskhakov scored a goal in this Prospect Report.
- Corey Pronman published his latest edition of prospects about whom he was wrong, and Iskhakov made the cut as someone that he thought would be much better. [The Athletic]
- This (yester)day in Isles history: Mathew Barzal wins Fastest Skater (2020) and the Isles raise Al Arbour’s first banner, representing his 739 career wins to that point. He added one more ten years later.
- The Bruins might get back David Pastrnak this weekend. That ought to provide a boost. [NHL]
- The NHL handed down its punishment of John Chayka, giving him a year-long suspension from the league for his screwing around with the Coyotes. [Sportsnet]
- Just how exactly did Joe Sakic turn the Avalanche into the powerhouse they have become? [ESPN]
- The Rangers considered some truly silly 90s jersey designs. I’m just stealing the headline on this one. [SBN]
- And finally, happy 60th birthday to The Great One, Wayne Gretzky. [NHL]