A fairly comfortable 4-1 win with a couple of power play goals has the Islanders on a 3-1 record. We’re nice and early in the season where one win boosts you from a .666 to .750 winning percentage.
The Isles got off to an early lead, so often the kiss of death for their opponents. One Semyon Varlamov hiccup early in the second ended his shutout streak, but it was pretty smooth sailing from there.
The teams will have a rematch this weekend in Newark.
- About last night: Jenny recaps, loves when Barzal is in form like that. [LHH] More recaps and takeaways: [AP | Newsday | Isles | All About the Jersey]
- Josh Bailey came off Covid protocol in time to play in the game, extending his games played streak. [Newsday]
- On their latest No Sleep Till Belmont podcast, Arthur Staple and AJ Mleczko discuss the start to the season, calling games remotely, and the Josh Bailey protocol. Come for the great hockey talk, stay for the joy of Staple doing a readout about engagement rings. [Spotify]
- More on this with the Capitals below, but the Islanders accept the strict Covid protocols as the price for getting to have a season during a pandemic. [Newsday]
- Cory Schneider is working on his game while providing some reassuring depth. [Isles]
- This (yester)day in Isles History: The beginning of the epic 15-game streak, before the overtime/shootout era. [Isles]
- Former Islander Tommy Salo will serve some prison time for driving while intoxicated. [RT]
- Anthony Stewart says Josh Ho-Sang is a top-six forward who just needs a chance, and warns NHL teams that there are plenty more unique characters like him in the pipeline. [Athletic]
- It’s Rangers-centric but the Post’s Up in the Blue Seats podcast with Ron Duguay and Molly Walker speaks with Mike Bossy. [Post]
Before the game there was talk of pinning the Devils’ style against them. Barry Trotz feels that was achieved.
“The first period was more of our identity. Jersey has some really good speed, they try and fly the zone a bit. I think we just played the right way, we jumped on them. Getting that late goal was good. I think we had enough chances and enough zone time.”— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 22, 2021
Trotz ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/GTGGAQF4aF
You knew it wouldn’t be long before want-away center Pierre-Luc Dubois was benched by John Tortorella. The coach wouldn’t discuss it with media, but here is Dubois’ final shift of last night’s game, late in the first period of an OT loss to the Lightning:
Here's an iso of Pierre-Luc Dubois' final shift for the Blue Jackets tonight. The center saw 3:55 of ice time for the night and did not take a shift after the first period.#CBJ— 1st Ohio Battery (@1stOhioBattery) January 22, 2021
More: https://t.co/dkWp3poyVI pic.twitter.com/BcGQgJwheP
- Due to Covid protocol violations and at least one positive test, Alex Ovechkin and three other Capitals will miss four games, including two against the Islanders. [NHL]
- Apparently the guys played cards together in a hotel room, which is a direct violation of the protocol, and Ovechkin’s wife took to Instagram to blast the sanction. The thing about protocols and rules is that you’re submitting your individual whims to the good of the collective for a common purpose. It’s not a concept for everyone, but it can sure help in a pandemic. (And it’s in the NHL-NHLPA agreement they all agreed to.) [Sportsnet]
- Chris Chelios spent most of his career with the Blackhawks or the Red Wings so he appreciates this historic rivalry. [NHL]
- Like the Cleveland Barons, this is a story I wish was covered more often: The K.C. Scouts were an avoidable disaster (NHL expansion draft rules were terrible back then), and without their failings (and the Colorado Rockies failings) the Devils would not exist. (They had some sweet uni colors, which they kept in Colorado, where Chico Resch joined them before relocating with the franchise.) [Athletic]
- Josh Manson will miss six weeks for the Ducks. [NHL]
- Ol’ Joe Thornton will miss “some time” for the Leafs. [NHL]
- At least seven coaching staffs are on reduced pay because of the pandemic. [TSN]
- Introducing the Roman Polak advanced metric for the quality of pretty goal. [Defending Big D]