Tuesday the Islanders had a rare extra day in between games and equally rare practice time in this condensed 56-game season.
They’re back at it tomorrow as the Devils visit.
- Michael Dal Colle (still on IR but nearing a return) and Oliver Wahlstrom (taxi squad) skated with the main group yesterday. Barry Trotz sounded like that kind of intermixing would become a thing. [Isles]
- On that note, that could mean more internal competition to play on the third line with Pageau-of-all-trades. [AM NY]
- In his Zoom media availability, Noah Dobson reflected on the Islanders bringing him along slowly [Newsday]. The coach likes what he sees of the kid’s development [Islanders].
- Arthur Staple did a live Q&A chat, saying sure, Johnny Boychuk might be groomed for a management role someday, the power play is too predictable, and Hüsker Dü is where it’s at. Favorite part is “(gestures around at life)”. [Athletic]
- Semyon Varlamov’s hot start is a good sign. [Empire Sports]
- More scenes from the home opener, fan cutouts and all. [Isles]
- Elliotte Friedman leads his 31 Thoughts with a theory on why the Avalanche just traded Ian Cole, and goes deep into the Keith Yandle troubles in Florida. #30 is also a really good one, with Glenn Healy on activities they are doing for NHL alumni. [Sportsnet]
- About that trade though: The Wild got a guy you know and trust in exchange for a guy who’s a heavy hard-nosed guy. Lotta “here’s a guy”s in that trade talk. [NHL]
- The Hurricanes and Predators had their game postponed due to what was later reported to be positive Covid tests among the Hurricanes organization. [NHL]
- In which Mike Babcock addresses the incidents he had with Mitch Marner and Johan Franzen. [Athletic]
- Is it time to panic ... about the Canucks? ... about the Oilers? [Sportsnet Panic Digest]
- The NHL has paused the use of pucks with puck-tracking technology because the current batch isn’t performing as desired. They’ll be back soon though. [Sportsnet]