A healthy return and another shutout for Semyon Varlamov adds a third, distinct chapter to the young season. The Islanders and Bruins surely put neutral observers to sleep with a structured defense-fest, but we’ll take the two points, by the grace of Pageau.
For 2021 thus far, that leaves us with a blowout win, a blowout loss, and narrowly prevailing in a defense-fest. More chapters to come this week.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | Isles: 5 keys including the PK and patience | NHL | Athletic | Stanley Cup of Chowder | AP | NYI Skinny]
- In a new weekly piece, Dan reviewed the week, managed not to jinx the Isles against the Bruins, and discuss some TV and a classic Isles clip. [LHH]
- Prospect Report: On Alex Jefferies, Logan Cockerill, Matias Rajaniemi and Alex Ljungkrantz. [Isles]
- Yesterday in Isles history was the anniversary of another win over the Bruins a crazy 9-7 win during an otherwise disastrous opening season. [Isles]
- Speaking of history, it’s a weird, sat, strange final final season at Nassau Coliseum. [Newsday]
- ...And you don’t have to go for the dumb name that’s listed at the center of Coliseum ice for this final season. [Newsday]
- On that note, here’s video of the Coliseum ice being installed, if that’s your thing. [Isles]
- On the annual MLK Day game, Barry Trotz discussed Willie O’Ree’s legacy. [Newsday]
- A little about a lot of topics around the league after one week of the season. [Sportsnet]
- Everything about road trips, from planes to elevators to masks, is different now in this unusual NHL season. [Athletic]
- Going into what’s behind the Jake Voracek feud with a reporter. [BSH]
Thomas Greiss stopping a penalty shot ‘cause that’s how he rolls: