Mike and Dan talk about the Islanders signing of Mathew Barzal and Matt Martin, and look at the team’s roster ahead of the 2021 season.
They talk about taking the good (Barzals’ contract) with the bad (Martin’s) when discussing Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello and how he’ll have to manage the team’s salary cap in the future. They also talk about young players possibly getting a chance to play this season in a “Mosquito Fleet” and a rumored trade of a favored defenseman.
Finally, they reveal a new way for listeners to win some very random Islanders swag. Leave us a review on iTunes and include your Twitter handle in the text for a chance at an Islanders eBay item!
- Staple on the “not acrimonious” Barzal contract signing.
- Dave Pagnota broke this news while we were on the air:
Martin's 4-year, $6M deal with NYI has a base salary of $700,000 this season (+$800,000 bonus), then $1.5M salary each of the next 3 years— David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) January 12, 2021
- The parameters of the Greene deal changed a little, which we did not discuss.
It should be noted: Greene's contract (base of $700K) includes a bonus for the number of games he plays this season. I'm not clear as to how much that is, but could be between $1M-$2M total. https://t.co/Fj26YctDLM— David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) January 12, 2021
- Oh, man. Look at this. You could get something maybe 10% as cool but 100% more Islanders if you leave us a review on iTunes.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Call Me” by Blondie.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.