If the Islanders get outclassed again in Game 2 then we’ll really have reason to be worried, but the lone saving grace for being blown out in Game 1 is that it’s just one game. And of course the fun trivia stat is that the only two previous times the Islanders have conceded eight goals in a playoff game, they went on to win the series.
Totally different eras (the 1975 arrival and the 1980 dynasty beginning), but still. If anyone can stop the Lightning, it’s Barry Trotz...and perhaps a goalie who steps up.
Just one game though. That was the general sentiment in the post-game.
#Isles Barry Trotz: "This game, we're just going to wash it away."— Mollie Walker (@MollieeWalkerr) September 8, 2020
In both locker rooms.
What else can you say?
- Steve delivers our post-mortem. [LHH]
- “Sometimes you get it handed to you.” [NHL]
- Last night wasn’t the best example (for anyone in blue and orange), but Mathew Barzal is evolving into a complete player this postseason. [Newsday]
- Routed. [Newsday] Demolished. [Post] Dismantled. [TSN] That Point guy is something else. [Sportsnet]
- What of the goalies? Greiss got the start, was pulled, Varlamov did not do any better. [NHL]
- No rust for the Lightning. [TB Times]
- Lightning fans riding high after that one. [Raw Charge]
- The Isles and Lightning were both headed in the wrong direction before the pandemic did its thing. Now one of them will compete for the Cup. [Sportsnet]
It’s easy to forget now, but the game was tied 1-1 and Brock Nelson had a shorthanded breakaway where the puck would just not settle for him (though he still got a decent shot off). I don’t know how things would’ve or could’ve changed if he’d potted that. But the Lightning snipers were deadly all night.
TB went 58:53 without missing the net. First (and only) miss with 67 seconds to go (Paquette).— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) September 8, 2020
Thomas Greiss was pulled after one outstanding opening goal and two goals by Lightning defensemen that were perfectly placed and where he could not see:
At least there are some clear adjustments that can be made from this game - can’t keep shooting the puck up the boards to clear against these guys is the main one, and gotta do more to challenge the defensemen at the blue line for sure— jenny berman (@barzalline) September 8, 2020
Speaking of which: We are definitely going to need both goalies to get through this series.
#Isles Barry Trotz on Thomas Greiss and Semyon Varlamov: "There was not a lot our goalies could do tonight on a lot of chances. They need more help from the five guys in front of them."— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) September 8, 2020
Said he took out Greiss down 3-1 to "change the narrative" of the first period.
- Bobby Ryan was named the Masterton Trophy winner. [NHL]
- The NHL announced another week in the bubble without a positive test. Well done, well done. [NHL]
Your Sonic Pick-me-up
Go ahead, gouge away. If you want to.