- Johnny Boychuk left Game 1 after Mike Matheson hit him in the head. [Newsday] His status for Game 2 remains uncertain. [Newsday]
- Jean-Gabriel Pageau was critical to the Islanders’ style in Game 1. He’s a playoff performer. [Islanders]
- Seven takeaways from Game 1 include the importance of Pageau, Anthony Beauvillier, and Brock Nelson. [The Athletic]
- As seen in the Islanders and Rangers Game 1’s on Saturday, the NHL’s return is the real deal. [Newsday]
- Ahead of the series, Arthur Staple got an anonymous panel of a coach and two executives to weigh in on the New York-Florida match-up. [The Athletic]
- LISTEN: Staple joined the Hockey Night in New York podcast to discuss the Game 1 win.
- The Isles are aware that the Cats have some claws. [Newsday]
- It’s really quiet without fans in the building and the players notice it. [Newsday]
- But the Blue and Orange Army is trying to make it work on their own. [The Athletic]
- WATCH: The band got back together. [MSG]
- The Islanders added a new couple new front office positions relating to sponsorship for UBS Arena. [Long Island Weekly]
- Are the Islanders contenders for the Cup in this wacky format? 49% think one way, while 51% think the other way... [LHH]
They had a massive ping pong tournament going on at the hotel yesterday.
We’ve got a serious Ping Pong Championship happening today. Who will be crowned Boys of the Isle Champions?! pic.twitter.com/hEJea44CNO— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) August 2, 2020
Beyond the Island
Scores from the first two days of play-in and round robin games: Saturday, including the Rangers losing to the Hurricanes; and Sunday, including the Avalanche beating the Blues with 0.1 left on the clock.
- Jonathan Toews and the Blackhawks don’t appear to be completely done just yet. [The Athletic]
- Meanwhile, the Maple Leafs were shut out by the Blue Jackets and here come those juicy, sweet Hockey Mecca of the World takes. It’s August but it feels like April. [Toronto Star]
- Sick! The Blue Jackets brought their cannon! Awesome! [RMNB]
- It’s a weird playoff season. Might as well take a weirdness-in-the-playoffs quiz. [DGB @ The Athletic]
- The NHL is clearly uncomfortable saying Black Lives Matter. Why? [USA Today]