Game 1 is here. And every other day for the next week-and-a-half — plus back-to-back days if the series goes to 6 and 7 — the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals will renew tensions.
The fun starts today at 3 p.m. EDT.
- Here’s Jordan Eberle, Anthony Beauvillier, Semyon Varlamov among yesterday’s media availability. [Isles video]
- Lots of podcasting: Noel and Dan spoke with Arthur Staple to preview the series for the latest IslesBuzz. And young Carter LaCorte spoke with Chris King.
- Keys to the series, as the Islanders official site sees it. [Isles] And as the Capitals’ site sees it.
- A look at the forward matchups...Advantage: Caps. [Isles]
- The Islanders have respect for the Capitals...and confidence in their own coach. [Newsday]
- So why not win the Cup now? [Newsday]
- Will familiarity breed contempt? The Athletic’s beatwriters discuss the series.
- Recent happy father Lars Eller is still out for the Capitals. John Carlson is a game-time decision. [NBC Washington]
- As part of their previews, Caps fans revisit their old goalie in Semyon Varlamov. [Japers’ Rink]
- And here’s Japers’ preview of previews for the series.
- Yet another impressive young philanthropist as Community Star of the Week. [Isles]
- It wouldn’t be a random day in August without some arena news! A vote to help the Coliseum re-open for next season. [Newsday]
- Eat your loyalty: In honor of the Islanders’ playoff run, the Bagel of the Month Club presents the Hand Rolled Blue & Orange Bagel.
Are you ready? Here’s some hype:
Breaking my social media silence for a second to post another hype video I've been working on as the @NYIslanders face the @Capitals tomorrow. I put a lovely Star Wars: Republic Commando twist on it, as well. Enjoy! #Isles #ALLCAPS pic.twitter.com/9k9tQt0DPi— Dan Hanson (@savantsports) August 11, 2020
Also, in case you’re in the mood to gather near strangers...:
ladies and gentlemen. offside tavern is happy to announce we will be reopening tomorrow with outdoor seating! we will be open at 2pm.— offside tavern (@Offside_Tavern) August 12, 2020
**weather permitting** pic.twitter.com/H1aq4SfquC
Elsewhere in the Bubble
Yesterday featured an epic, five-overtime Game 1 where the Lightning prevailed over the Blue Jackets. The Flames also beat the Stars, and the Bruins-Hurricanes game was postponed until today at 11 a.m. because the Lightning game went so freaking long.
- Mike Milbury tweeted something silly because he was tired of watching OT, and Athletic writers debated how wrong he was. [Athletic]
- Checking in with dynasty-era Islander Lorne Henning in his current role as a Seattle Kraken scout. [Seattle Times]
- 31 Thoughts time: The pressure amps up on everyone in Toronto, teehee. [Sportsnet]
- Ken Holland thinks his top two offensive stars did a lot of “playing the right way” despite the Oilers’ series loss. [NHL]
- More post-mortems: Penguins GM Jim Rutherford says “there’s something wrong” with his team. [TSN]
- The Penguins are also leaning toward keeping their 15th overall pick rather than handing it to the Wild, which would convert the conditional pick from the Jason Zucker trade to next year. Would be a real shame if they won the lottery next year... [TSN]
- Mark Scheifele has “no hard feelings” toward Matthew Tkachuk for the encounter that knocked Scheifele out of the series. [NHL]