A week and a day until some actual hockey gets played on actual ice. That, of course, is when the Islanders will play the Rangers in an exhibition game just to get their respective legs under each other.
But hockey is not that far away anymore! Remote life has, ironically enough, been a bit more time-consuming than regular life, but figured I ought to get back on track with posting here. [audience groans]
- Ross Johnston got some time on the wing with Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey on Monday. Barry Trotz liked what he saw during that practice after being frustrated with Sunday’s effort. [Newsday]
- Check out the groupings, a short practice video, a couple images, and both player and coach media availability from Training Camp Day 8. [Isles Day-to-Day]
- After the respite, J-G Pageau, an excellent face-off man that can play both sides of the man advantage, may be the Isles’ X-factor in the playoffs. [The Athletic]
- Pageau is one example of the Islanders’ overall depth, their strongest roster quality now that they are fully healthy and rested. [Islanders]
- A high schooler from East Setauket is this week’s Community Star. He raised $10,000 to honor his late mother, donating a portion to the American Cancer Society and setting up a scholarship in her name at his high school with the rest. [Islanders]
- LISTEN: Josh Ho-Sang streamed a song he wrote, called “Learning,” and it’s pretty good! It’s a little NSFW, but it has a strong message and he’s a pretty good vocalist. He penned a post about the song in the Audiomack link. You can also listen to the song through the Audiomack link. [Audiomack | Newsday]
Ilya Sorokin is officially en route to Long Island!
Ilya Sorokin and Alexander Romanov NHL bound! #WeAreGoldStar! pic.twitter.com/AXJtO6CLlR— Dan Milstein-Hockey (@HockeyAgent1) July 21, 2020
- As the NHL entered Phase Three, they only registered two positive COVID-19 test results among 2,618 tests administered to more than 800 players. [NHL]
- Rangers forward Brendan Lemieux, undeniably one of hockey’s most intelligent men who totally isn’t trying really hard to emulate his father, is suspended for the first two games of the Qualifying Round against the Hurricanes stemming from his interference against the Avalanche’s Joonas Donskoi on the last night of the regular season. [NHL]