A few Bits for your (unseasonably cold) Saturday morning.
- Arthur Staple did a Q&A with Athletic readers this week, answering what he can while everything is still in limbo. Includes a little early expansion draft planning. And he’s right about the Islanders’ goal song.
- Another Q&A happened at the Islanders site where Bryan Trottier sat down to talk about his greatest moments, toughest opponents and why he wore No. 19. “It’s a good number!”
- Devon Toews is holding up on Long Island, Zooming with college teammates and hoping his wedding in July can still happen.
- The theme of the week at SB Nation has been Marvel Comics, which means a lot to me. Yesterday, we looked at two very different men both named The Wrecker and took in a game with Sue Storm, aka the indomitable Invisible Woman.
- The Habs signed young standout Russian defenseman Alexander Romanov this week [HEOTP]. Financial terms haven’t been disclosed, nor has an actual start date for the contract. Why is that in this section? Because this:
Believe this is why we haven’t seen an Ilya Sorokin signing with #Isles yet. Even if he wouldn’t play this season, would want to burn off the 1-year ELC and sign a new deal for 20-21. https://t.co/aeFK2yHwhr— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) May 8, 2020
Around the NHL
- Elliotte Friedman’s latest 31 Thoughts talks about how NHL broadcasts will look if and when things resume and which teams could be “playoff teams.”
- On that note, Brooksie says the NHL’s new plan is to go straight to a 24 Stanley Cup tournament, not pass GO and not collect $200. Frankly, none of these scenarios seem all that plausible but I’m pretty sure he’s just trying to find a way to see more Rangers games.
- ESPN runs down each team’s best lines of the last 30 years. Solid choices for the Islanders but it made me miss the FN GO line of Frans Nielsen, Michael Grabner and Kyle Okposo.