I’ve been trying to think of something clever or fun to put here, but I can’t really think of anything. Rather than force it, I think I’ll just leave this awkward train of thought here.
Anyway, here’s some Bits.
- If the Draft does actually go down in June, GM Lou Lamoriello says the Islanders are prepared. [The Athletic]
- Reece Newkirk had a promising Draft+1 season. Here’s hoping the 2019 5th-rounder is a diamond in the rough. He was a junior teammate of Kieffer Bellows. [Islanders]
- In case you missed it in the Captain America piece linked below, another Isles prospect, Robin Salo, was featured in Scott Wheeler’s The Gifted series at The Athletic.
- Since it is Marvel Week here at SBN, Dan wrote about the Captain America statue that has popped up all over Brooklyn—including a stop in front of Barclays Center—over the last five-ish years. [LHH]
- Eric Hornick is tracking the Islanders’ road to the Cup 40 years ago; on yesterday’s date in 1980, the Islanders lost to the Sabres, unable to sweep Buffalo. I think it worked out okay, though. [NYISkinny]
- Mike Bossy is the no. 2 all-time right wing in this modified version of the Super 16; Jaromir Jagr was selected no. 1, and that’s fair to me. [NHL]
- Michael Fornabaio is giving out Fake Team Awards for the Sound Tigers for the 15th time, even though the season wasn’t completed. [Soundin’ Off]
- One of the guys behind the show Billions is David Levien, who grew up an Islanders fan in Great Neck and worked them into his show by having one of the characters practice with the Islanders at the actual Coliseum (though it was really the Princeton team in Isles jerseys). [NHL]
- The latest Islander of the Day was Jason Krog, a familiar name who I don’t remember as an Islander. He looks just thrilled to be on the Island in the article’s photo, though. [LHH]
- Stan Fischler regales the tale of the 1989-90 season, in which the Islanders squeaked into the playoffs despite a 14-game winless streak. [Maven’s Memories]
- PODCAST: Andrew Gross discusses the state of the NHL as it looks for ways to return to play. [Newsday]
- VIDEO: Jamie McLennan started his career backing up Ron Hextall for the Islanders in 1993-94 and tells a story of a waiter ruining Hextall’s new suit on a game day in St. Louis, and then McLennan having to come into the game to minimize the effects of his rage. [TSN]
- In which Penguins GM Jim Rutherford announces, loudly enough that it was picked up by the NHL’s website, that he may have to trade one of his goalies. [NHL]
- Did you know Michael Jordan was briefly a part-owner of the Capitals? Me neither. As with any shocking development, it produced some interesting stories. [ESPN]
- According to one poll, more players want to play some regular season games before jumping right into the playoffs; even the article, though, acknowledges the poll may be biased. [The Athletic]
JG Pageau stopped by NHL Network this week to talk about staying in shape, cooking for his family and his transition to the Islanders.