It’s Monday. Again. I think.
It’s also Underdog Week around SB Nation so we’ll have plenty of chances to talk about some of the many times the Islanders shocked the world.
But for now, some links for your reading enjoyment.
- Will this be the week we get some information about the NHL returning to finish the season? The Return to Play committee talked often this weekend, mainly about a 24-team playoff plan. Pierre Lebrun has all the details at The Athletic and at TSN.ca, if you’re not a subscriber.
- If you’re feeling excited to see hockey come back or have already cashed in this season or are just generally confused about what to feel, just remember that there are many, many people who feel the same way. [Bourne at The Athletic]
- Lighthouse Hockey podcasters got together for a fun roundtable discussion about some possible What If?... topics in Islanders history. Man, we could have gone on for hours...
- Yesterday, May 17th, was the 40th anniversary of the first Stanley Cup Final game played on Long Island. Newsday looks back on the day that was “like Christmas.”
- You can bid on a chance to bring yourself and five friends on a golf outing with John Tonelli and Butch Goring, then take in dinner and a game at Belmont with Jon Ledecky as part of the #AllIn challenge. Details are here.
- Rosters for the NHLPA Open Fortnite tournament (parents, ask your kids) have been released. The Islanders’ team is AHL-heavy with Grant Hutton, Kieffer Bellows and Simon Holmstrom. Josh Ho-Sang is on a wild card team. Good luck, gamers.
- Last week, the NWHL canceled this year’s Isobel Cup Final, which would have been between the Boston Blades and Minnesota Whitecaps. [The Ice Garden]
- Do not adjust your television. There will indeed be a Lemieux wearing No. 66 for the New York Giants. That’s offensive lineman Shane Lemieux. And no, he’s not related to Mario. [NHL.com]
The great Benoit Hogue on moving to, and staying on, Long Island.