The New York Islanders were outplayed by the Montreal Canadiens again, adding to their woes at a really poor time to be collecting woes.
Barry Trotz was not pleased, said they’re not putting the work in nor have enough guys playing the right way, “north-south,” etc. When he said “You can’t win a game on the first shift” I initially heard “We can’t win a game for shit” but alas, no. It was just in my head.
“We dug ourselves a tremendous hole. We have to put more skin in the game, we don’t have enough skin in the game and you can’t win at this time of year unless you’re putting more skin in the game to earn points. We got exactly what we deserved today.” -Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/0q7w2RZugc— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 4, 2020
Anyway, just an awful night, with Thomas Greiss pulled, a putrid power play, and Johnny Boychuk leaving with a scary skate-to-face injury. [LHH | Isles | Newsday | Post | NHL]
Word was that Boychuk’s eyesight is not threatened, however. Still, scary scene.
No update from Trotz on Boychyuk. Cal Clutterbuck was understandably upset. "It's not good. It's not easy to see. Not good at all." #Isles— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) March 4, 2020
#Isles Barry Trotz said he will consider personnel changes. Specifically mentioned both Andrew Ladd and Ross Johnston as guys who have been working extremely hard in practice and probably deserve a chance to play.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) March 4, 2020
- Thomas Hickey discussed how his professional life has taken a turn at the same time his brother has been battling glioblastoma, another terrible form of cancer that I wish would go right to hell. [Athletic]
- On the latest PTIsles podcast, Joe talked to Peter Schwartz about the jersey retirements, and other ceremonies he’s never missed.
- Prospect Report: Ilya Sorokin’s record and then some. [Isles]
- As a longtime fixture of the Nashville community, Trotz’s thoughts were with them in the aftermath of a devastating tornado. [Newsday]
Among last night’s NHL scores: The Penguins finally end their six-game losing streak and extend their lead over the Isles, but the Smurfs lost at home in regulation.
- A new puck with electronic tracking technology will be unveiled for the playoffs. [TSN]
- CHANGE DA RULES: The GMs are voting to alter the
definitioninterpretation of offside, allowing skates to be off the ice so that they aren’t taking away good goals for silly reasons. [Sportsnet | NHL | TSN]
- The Hurricanes will be missing their two goalies for at least another week. [NHL]
- The Canadiens are headed for another playoff miss but Claude Julien’s job is reportedly safe... [NHL]
- ...but surely it’s next year or else for both Julien and GM Marc Bergevin. [Sportsnet]
- Red Berenson is retired from playing and coaching now, but the man who once scored six goals in an NHL game still does all kinds of gritty ol’ north things. [MLive]
- Meet the woman aiming to be the NHL’s first female ref. [Sportsnet]