The Islanders return from a rare two days between games with eyes on resetting after being humbled by last year’s Cup finalists. The next two opponents are really good at French and also won’t be making the playoffs. One of them is tanking, but tonight’s opponent is generally more dangerous than its standings status would appear...
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
Lots of facts and clips in the official game preview, including Barry Trotz telling it like it is:
Trotz speaks with the media after today's practice. pic.twitter.com/vdqaOcIcXf— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 2, 2020
- Safe to say Barry Trotz would like Casey Cizikas to return so he can have his “identity line” back. [Post | Newsday]
- Congrats to the captain Anders Lee and family! That’s the best reason for a “personal day.”
- In their latest Islanders Anxiety podcast, Dan and Mike discuss the recent losses and the wonder of the Butch Goring jersey retirement ceremony and speech. [LHH Podcasts]
- Hockey Night in New York welcomes Arthur Staple to discuss trade deadline chatter and the last couple of losses.
- With 18 games remaining and coming off two losses, now would be a good time for the Islanders to get back on track. [Isles Blog]
- TRADE: The Sound Tigers traded Ryan Bourque to Charlotte, where he’ll get some playoff hockey, for a couple of guys. [BST | Soundin’ Off]
- Prospect Update: Checking in on Memorial Cup winner and 2019 pick Felix Bibeau. [Isles]
Yesterday in Islanders history:
#OTD in 1993 the #isles rallied from an 0-2 deficit to beat the Red Wings 3-2 at #nassaucoliseum. Pierre Turgeon lead the comeback with 2G 1A which included the GTG and GWG in the 2nd both on the PP. They were his 42nd and 43rd s of the year and gave him 102 pts. #90s #nyi pic.twitter.com/FRytHWJ3C9— IslesHistoryToday (@IslesHistorical) March 3, 2020
Yesterday in Islanders’ future:
Ilya Sorokin passed Mikko Koskinen and Alexander Yeryomenko for sole possession of first place on the KHL all-time list for shutouts in #GagarinCup Playoffs (15 SO in 66 GP). pic.twitter.com/SztibiZGv3— KHL (@khl_eng) March 2, 2020
Last night’s minimal NHL scores include nothing that affects us, though Leon Draisaitl scored four goals as the Oilers exploded out of a 3-3 tie to spank the Predators, 8-3.
- The NHL GMs are meeting and they’ve decided their latest rule changes are having the intended effect — fewer soul-sucking coach’s challenges, among them. [NHL] (However, good luck finding agreement on what goalie interference is.)
- Also at the GM meetings: They decided against messing with the EBUG (Emergency Back Up Goalie) policy. [TSN | Sportsnet]
- The Blue Jackets hoped rehab would help Josh Anderson but his shoulder hasn’t responded and now he’s gone for the season after surgery. [NHL]
- The NHL is making contingency plans in case the coronavirus interferes with stuff. [ESPN]
- The IIHF has canceled six tournaments because the coronavirus is interfering with stuff. [ESPN]
- Like a lot of teams, the Blues used to have a Pride Night. Unlike a lot of teams, they’re not doing that anymore and instead having a Hockey Is For Everyone...watch party...of a road game. [STL Game Time]
- Here are 5 NHL teams we’ll learn a lot about before the playoffs, maybe. [Sportsnet]
- Here are 10 European free agents who could land NHL deals this summer. [THN]