The week has been light on NHL news, but we’ve had a bunch of podcasts for your listening pleasure. We’ve heard more favorite Islanders game stories and a great encore conversation with Jiggs McDonald. There’s one more below and we’ll have another Lighthouse Lookback with a recent Islander very soon.
- Anders Lee represented the Islanders on Thursday on a four person video chat with Alex Ovechkin, PK Subban and Nick Foligno. The captain is very thankful for health care workers but misses the NHL competition. Meanwhile at home, he and his wife Grace are getting the hang of the whole parent thing with baby Ruby. He also bought a Peloton. Will he ride it with his mouthguard hanging out of his mouth? [Islanders | Newsday | NHL | The Athletic on these space age technologies]
- Also at The Athletic, Arthur Staple posted a feature on prospect Simon Holmstrom, the youngest player in pro hockey in North America, who finally started seeing some progress in the second half of the Sound Tiger’s truncated season.
- Staple also did a Q&A on Thursday covering a bunch of topics, most of which are in suspended animation right now.
- WFAN’s Peter Schwartz recalls the time he played against Bryan Trottier in Ice Hockey on the Atari 2600, which is just about the coolest damn thing I could ever possibly think of doing. [NY Sports Day]
- The Biggest News of the Week Part 1: The KHL has cancelled the remainder of its season, which was in the playoffs. Does that mean Ilya Sorokin could be on his way to Long Island soon? Who knows. Dan and Noel discussed the idea on a wide-ranging Isles Buzz podcast.
- The Biggest News of the Week Part 2: The NHL has postponed its Scouting Combine, Awards Show and Draft. No new dates have been set, but Montreal has been guaranteed another shot at hosting the draft within the next few years, per Pierre LeBrun.
- A player for the Avalanche tested positive for COVID-19. He has been in isolation and has recovered. [MHH]
- While there’s still no word on when or if the NHL can or will return, teams have been asked about August arena availabilities. [TSN’s Insider Trading]
- NOTHING can stop Elliotte Friedman’s 31 Thoughts. This time, he checks in on players around the league and talks about the Oilers.
Hope you’re all safe and well as the self-quaratines continue. Ebs has got your back.
A message from @jeberle_7 and the newest member of our #Isles family, baby Collins! pic.twitter.com/9goVRgaOfa— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 26, 2020