Hello everyone. I sort of fell off the grid when social distancing came into play. I was worried you’d all get me sick!
But seriously folks, I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy and not leaving their houses if they don’t have to. It’s a freakin’ pandemic!
Here’s the latest “news” with the Islanders and the hockey world.
- As you may have heard, Lou Lamoriello answered your questions from Twitter, and yes, he shaves every day, just like his employees. Also a big berries guy. [Islanders | Newsday]
- He’s also made clear his intentions to not let Mathew Barzal reach July 1, when he can listen to offer sheets, and that if he happens to sign one, it would be matched. [Newsday]
- Goals like this are why (and MSG+ has been re-running the Isles schedule, so right now they’re in the midst of the point streak if you need something to watch at night):
Just helping the zamboni driver clean the ice while barzy finishes his 7th lap of the zone Also give me my stick. Bails read the play before he got the puck from Toewser to make this happen to me in front. Felt the goalie hadn’t gone down yet & squeezed it 5 hole over his stick pic.twitter.com/dlabuAAgkp— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 24, 2020
- Anders Lee is a natural-born leader and it didn’t start here on Long Island. He’s captained almost every team he’s ever played for. [NY Post]
- Back in the day, stretching by the red line during warm-ups was foreshadowed some brawls. Now, even though the four Islanders—Matt Martin, Ross Johnston, Scott Mayfield, and Johnny Boychuk—that stretch up there would fight, they say they do it just so they have space. [The Athletic]
- Rick DiPietro has moved into the coaching phase of his career, starting up at Portledge School in Locust Valley. He seems to really enjoy it—wonder if he’ll try to move up the ranks?
- Yesterday’s Islander of the Day was Marty McInnis, part of “The Kid Line” back in ‘93 with Brad Dalgarno and Travis Green and part of the trade for Robert Reichel. [LHH]
- TRIVIA: Afro has two new installments of the Daily Islanders Quiz: Most Games in a Season by a Goalie and Most Career Points by a Defenseman.
- LISTEN: The latest My Favorite Islanders Game episode features stories of a first Islanders-Rangers game and a Valentine’s Day tradition. [LHH]
Not Islanders, Maybe Not Even Hockey
- The CHL has made the decision to cancel its 2020 playoffs and Memorial Cup tournament. Leagues with lower budgets have to make these decisions quickly, I suppose.
- Meanwhile, the NHL is hopeful that teams can resume training by the end of the 60-day quarantine put in place by the CDC. [Newsday]
- The NHL is considering every option, at this point, to salvage the season and award the Stanley Cup, even hockey in July, August, and/or September. [The Athletic]
- The Seattle expansion franchise continues to work on a name choice, despite having now missed several self-imposed deadlines. I don’t understand what they’re working on. Charts? Just pick a damn name already. [NHL]
- The latest game in the Animal Crossing franchise, New Horizons, was released on Friday and desperate hockey fans have taken to making the game a new hockey haven. [RMNB]
- And finally, coming down the pike today, the IOC and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe agreed to postpone the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo until 2021. [Newsday]