No, there are still no games being played anywhere by anyone. Seems like it’ll be that way for quite a bit longer.
- You probably already noticed the Islander of the Day posts we’ve been tossing up all week. There will be more starting on Monday.
- Longtime community member Afrosupreme has also been posting trivia quizzes that you can still take right now. Go for it: Most Games Played; 100 point seasons; Four or More Goal Games; Playoff Hat Tricks; Successful Penalty Shots.
- There have also been three podcasts: Mike and I on all of this craziness; Noel talked to former NHLer and single day Islander Jason Podollan about his career and life now; and Joe talked to author Matthew Blittner about his new book “Unforgettable: New York Islanders” and the wild stories within.
- You’ve still got time to call in for this month’s episode of My Favorite Islanders Game. We want to hear about the game that means the most to you for whatever reason. Could be heartbreaking, hilarious or historic. Tell us! New episode posts on Monday. (646) 980-8857.
- Earlier this week, Arthur Staple published a Q&A he had with Cal Clutterbuck about skate cuts, protection and recovery. Get better, Cal. [The Athletic]
- The NCAA and Junior Hockey leagues have cancelled their seasons, and the KHL is suspended until April 20th. But the Islanders site took a look at the performances of their prospects this past season.
- The operators of Nassau Coliseum will create a fund to offset lost wages for workers affected by the shutdown. The Islanders have pledged an undisclosed amount to the fund. [Newsday. This article is free to read]
- If and when the Islanders resume play, it will be at the Coliseum and not Barclays Center, brining an unceremonious end to their Brooklyn era. Neil Best discusses while invoking The Dodgers...? Weird flex but okay. [Newsday. This article is not free to read]
Other NHL news
- So far, only one NHLer has tested positive for COVID-19 and he plays for the Senators. [Silver Seven]
- The league’s official site has unlocked a ton of video content for us to enjoy while in self-quarantine.
- The NHL Coaches’ Association has launched a mentorship program.
- Former Buffalo Sabre Martin Biron talks to our brethren at Die By The Blade. Hm. Wonder if he could be an Islander of the Day...
- RIP the one and only Kenny Rogers. Sing the chorus to “The Gambler” in his honor today.
We are all together in this, including the Islanders players and their families:
Josh Bailey and the Bailey boys are keeping their hockey skills sharp while hanging out at home! pic.twitter.com/PFHugtcyVB— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 20, 2020