They picked up a point and managed 49 shots in the effort, but the New York Islanders’ terribly timed winless streak reached seven with their shootout loss in Vancouver late last night.
The Isles wake up one point behind current wild card holders Carolina and Columbus, and six points behind the pack of teams in regular Metro playoff positions.
They also lost Josh Bailey in the first period to an undisclosed injury, so we may see yet another tweak to the lines that currently have Andrew Ladd (who scored on a deflection last night and also took their final shootout attempt) in a regular role.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | The Skinny: personal milestone for Brock Nelson, who scored twice]
“It was a good point. Two desperate hockey teams. We had a real great start and they came back and scored two goals. We were chasing it all night, but we stayed with it.” -Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/Bp2NSdg8gU— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 11, 2020
Against all odds, The islanders are two-seventeenths of the way to another 17-game point streak— Michael Leboff (@TheBigLeebowski) March 11, 2020
- Could the Islanders be playing in empty buildings soon? The players mull the changing situation around the coronavirus outbreak. [Newsday]
- Injured, beaten down, struggling, nothing comes easy for the Islanders right now. [PTIsles Podcast]
- A five-game homestand awaits the Sound Tigers as their tough season continues. [Bridgeport Report]
- Johnny Boychuk is skating, and Barry Trotz says it’s the defenseman’s decision to determine when he’s ready for game action. [Newsday]
- Podcast Central: Boychuk and more were the topics in Andrew Gross’ latest Island Ice podcast. | Hockey PDOcast talked to Arthur Staple on the Islanders’ thin margin for error.
#Isles Andrew Ladd came into tonight 18 for 50 (36 percent) on shootout attempts.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) March 11, 2020
Trotz: "He’s the highest that we have on the team. I thought he played really well. When you watch him in practice, when he does it, he’s pretty good. I had no issues with him going there."
- They’re in a wild card position, but the playoff chase is going to get even harder for the injury-ravaged Blue Jackets. [TSN]
- Can the league keep the bye week but lighten schedule congestion? The Islanders were among the teams with 31 games across February and March. [Athletic]
- Coronavirus Daily: The Sharks will comply with their host county’s order not to hold public gatherings of more than 1,000 people. Sports leagues are slowly waking up to what is looking inevitable. [NHL]
- Nathan MacKinnon’s latest injury may not be serious. [NHL]
- Some Metro rivals make college free agent signings. [NHL]
- Great look behind the scenes of NBC’s recent all-female broadcasting crew — and most of production — and what it means to other women aspiring to similar careers. [Athletic]
- Take that, EBUG haters: New MLB Hall of Famer Larry Walker to serve as the Avalanche’s emergency backup. [Sportsnet]
- Another really important topic: NHLers with the best hair. [NHL]