Well, games like yesterday are a sobering reminder that the Islanders aren’t quite in that upper echelon of teams yet. Doesn’t mean a Stanley Cup can’t be won, but it won’t be easy by any means. But it never is.
Barry Trotz feels the game was lost in the first ten minutes, and from my seat, I’d agree:
“To me, we lost the game in the first 10 minutes. We fell down two pucks, we lost coverage on those, on both those situations.” - Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/tXI7L5o3k4— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 29, 2020
- It’s a shame the game went so poorly because it was Butch Goring’s jersey retirement and the ceremony was very well done. No. 91 is in the rafters, though. Or the “toy department,” as he’d say. [Newsday]
- PHOTOS: Check out all the scenes from Goring’s retirement ceremony. He was so happy to be there. [Islanders]
- VIDEO: And we’ve got the full ceremony here at Lighthouse, plus AJ Mleczko’s analysis while wearing Butchie’s old helmet. Butch turned his speech into something like a roast! [LHH]
- Governor Andrew Cuomo made it official yesterday: all home games the Islanders play between the end of this month and their move to Belmont will be at the Coliseum. Playoff games included. [Islanders | NHL]
Yesterday’s NHL scores include the Panthers losing a shootout to the Blackhawks, the Hurricanes falling in overtime to the Canadiens, and the Penguins getting smacked 5-0 by the Sharks in San Jose. It’s their sixth straight regulation loss—they, like the Islanders, got 0 points out of their California trip.
- Steven Stamkos needs surgery to repair a core muscle injury and he will be on the shelf for 6-8 weeks. Brutal timing. Feels like he always gets hurt this time of year. [NHL]
- This article was written before word spread about the extent of Stamkos’ injury and was about whether there should have been concern about it. The answer was: yes. [The Athletic]
- Andrew Shaw (concussion) and Zack Smith (back surgery) will be out the rest of the season for the Blackhawks. [NHL]
- Another injured Blackhawk, old friend Calvin de Haan, threw himself into creating a craft beer for charity as he recovers from his shoulder injury—the result is Loud Barn Lager, for Chicago fans. [Chicago Tribune]
- It’s the anniversary of “The Golden Goal” scored by Sidney Crosby to win Canada the Olympic gold in Vancouver. If Canada played the U.S. today, what would the team look like? Mathew Barzal was the only Islander to be selected for either team, and he’s on a line with John Tavares. Someone was feeling cheeky. [Sportsnet]