The next stretch of games is going to be a barometer for how well the Islanders stand up to adversity. They play the next 6 of 7 on the road, and the opponents are mostly a murderer’s row. It starts tonight in Tampa Bay, where the Lightning have been on fire. Should be fun.
Let’s hear what Barry Trotz has to say about the road trip:
"Well I'm not even looking at the next 6 out of 7, I'm looking at Tampa Bay, that's how you have to look at it. There's so many good teams and we have to get through them, we have to win our games and we have to take care of it."— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 7, 2020
Hear more from Trotz pic.twitter.com/U2LIoYccyT
- Let’s preview the damn thing, shall we?
- The Kieffer Bellows experiment has paid immediate dividends and it was even more special to score his first two NHL goals with his NHL-veteran father in attendance. [The Athletic]
- He is truly bursting on to the scene. Well, of course, it’s only been two games. But trending in the right direction, for sure. [Islanders]
- Perhaps more importantly, the Islanders’ resiliency is back. [NY Post]
- This will be Bellows’ first chance at a long road trip and, as I alluded to, it will be a big test for the team. [Newsday]
- The deadline is coming up, but who should the Islanders look at? [LHH]
- Matt Martin isn’t trying to dwell on his pending free agency. Honestly, for him, I’d say the move is to retire and join the coaching staff or front office so he can stay on Long Island. [Newsday]
- Stan Fischler remembers saying good bye to Denis Potvin, who retired in 1988 after the Islanders were upset by the Devils in the first round of the playoffs. [Maven’s Memories]
- Is everything coming up Leafs? I’m sorry, I meant is it finally coming together for the Maple Leafs? [PPP]
- Pierre LeBrun makes his rounds: the Canucks might be interested in Wayne Simmonds, the Rangers and Chris Kreider have been somewhat discussing a contract, and the Flames are handling the Mark Giordano injury. [The Athletic]