Even if there is a big trade deadline addition, or if Kieffer Bellows provides a little boost, I don’t know if we’ll ever feel confident in the offensive capacity of this team. But their resilient character once again was on display in Tuesday night’s comeback win over the Stars.
Faced with another late deficit — this time despite dominating the first period that left them nonetheless tied 1-1 — the Islanders not only kept at it to tie it, but tie it after the initial equalizer was overturned on a goalie interference challenge.
Love the steady resolve of Trotz’s troops.
“What I like about the last little while is that we talk about playing to our identity and trusting the process and I like the fact that we’ve done that. We haven’t deviated from it and we’re getting rewarded for it." - Barry Trotz pic.twitter.com/4ncmZANcJa— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 5, 2020
- About last night. That was pretty sweet. Two big points, and big night for Beauvillier. [LHH | Newsday | Post | Isles video recap | Islanders Insight | Defending Big D]
- It’s just one game, but Barry Trotz was pleased with Kieffer Bellows (who earned his first point, though he learned that in a post-game question, see below) and the rookie is ready to prove himself. [Newsday]
- After the game, the Islanders announced Sebastian Aho has been returned to Bridgeport.
- The newest class of IIHF hall of fame inductees includes all the Islanders, basically. (Okay, Alexei Yashin, Ryan Smyth, Mark Streit.) [TSN]
.@AGrossNewsday to Bellows: "Who wound up telling you that you got the assist added on Brass' goal?"— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) February 5, 2020
Last night’s other NHL scores included the Capitals rolling the Kings as Alex Ovechkin got another hat trick to reach 40 goals again and inch closer to 700.
- Players to watch heading toward the trade deadline. [NHL]
- The Athletic’s player agent poll had some interesting moments. Lou Lamoriello is both highly respected and seen as difficult.
- More from P.K. Subban reflecting on a tough first year with the Devils. [Sportsnet]
- Frederik Andersen will not make his team’s trip to New York, which has Leafdom in a panic. [TSN | Sportsnet]