The New York Islanders are looking to salvage a win, or at least a point, from the final game of a thus-far fruitless (and damned near goal-less) four-game trip as they meet the Avalanche in Denver tonight.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for the game here.
Meanwhile, the pre-deadline trade activity has really picked up around the league, with both of tonight’s combatants reportedly in the mix for acquisitions.
The Isles, of course, have already added Andy Greene in a trade that may have set the market for the defensemen who moved afterward. But they and the Avalanche are believed to be shopping for forwards like Chris Kreider, too.
- Speaking of Greene, Carey delved deeper into the thinking behind the trade. [LHH]
- Are the Islanders in on Kreider? Elliotte Friedman is among those thinking they are, among three or four other teams, with TSN pegging Colorado and Boston as the front-runners. The Fourth Period suggests that the Islanders would like to get him and sign him to an extension, which sounds wildly outlandish and impractical.
- Dan and Mike discussed the last three losses, the possibility of an Isles-Rangers trade, Mike’s curious transaction dream, and another obscure former Islander with as vanilla of a name as Andy Greene. [Islanders Anxiety podcast]
- A bit about some of the prospects who have been involved in these trades, including longshot Isles draft pick David Quenneville. [Rotoworld]
- Andrew Gross talked to Greene about the trade, and to Greg Picker about the Isles and wild realignment ideas. [Island Ice podcast]
Last night’s NHL scores included the Hurricanes winning in regulation and the Flyers beating the Blue Jackets despite playing poorly; at least it didn’t go to extra bonus-point time. Also, the Penguins jumped into first place by destroying the Leafs, but more on that later.
Meanwhile, the trades, where some guy who posts about sports at Forbes says it’s a seller’s market:
- The Kings traded Tyler Toffoli to the Canucks, who are facing some significant injuries. [Jewels From the Crown | Nucks Misconduct]
- The Capitals acquired Brenden Dillon from the Sharks for a second and a very conditional third. [Japers’ Rink | Fear the Fin]
- The Blues, who are facing life without Jay Bouwmeester, acquired Marco Scandella from the Canadiens for a 2nd-round pick and a conditional 4th. [NHL | St. Louis Game Time | Habs Eyes on the Prize]
- ...and the Kings are believed on the verge of an agreement with Vegas to trade them Alec Martinez, who is quite aware as he was kept out of last night’s game. But it wasn’t final yet as of last night.
- Meanwhile, if Joe Thornton wants to go somewhere, here are four possibilities. [Sportsnet]
- And among all those on-the-block players, there are some buyer bewares. [Athletic]
- Pierre LeBrun discusses trades consummated, and potential trades still to come, such as what might Ilya Kovalchuk fetch? [Athletic]
Not About Trades
- We linked this above in the Kreider bullet, but here’s Friedman’s 31 Thoughts.
- Bouwmeester issued a statement thanking everyone. The Blues put him on LTIR and plan to discuss his future in a week to 10 days.
- The poor Rangers are facing an “impossible” Lundqvist situation of their own making. [Post]
- In which one of the writers carrying water for the Bruins praises Zdeno Chara for apologizing after he maims someone, while also pointing out that the only reason the vicious crosscheck was an “incident” is because of “height disparity.” Ye gods, Boston. [NBC Sports]
- Do you enjoy snacking on popcorn as you watch Toronto media and fans devour their team (and captain)? If so, these fun threads are just for you. Is the coach reading all those tweets?!:
Sheldon Keefe: "You have a team over there [in Pittsburgh] that's built a championship culture and what's acceptable, and we're not there. That is something, the inexperience. But we also have some very experienced players that should be more than capable of leading the way."— Kristen Shilton (@kristen_shilton) February 19, 2020