Whoa, a real-life trade! It actually happened!
FIG picks go here. The puck drops at 4:00 p.m. EST.
- It’s always tough to play in Las Vegas, between the crowd and the glam and glitz and then the team you have to go up against. [Newsday]
- Ross Johnston likes playing there, though. He scored his first NHL goal out there and Vegas has a badass in Ryan Reaves that is actually up to his level of fighting prowess. [Newsday]
- So yeah, the Islanders acquired Andy Greene from the Devils. Bit more than I would have preferred to pay, but nothing absurd. He flew to Arizona yesterday. [LHH | Islanders | Newsday | NHL | AATJ with the NJ perspective]
- The general consensus is that the Islanders got a good player but that the price was a tad high for what Greene is, and price only comes into play because they need to pay for some scoring, as well. [The Athletic]
- Get the skinny on Greene—the NYI Skinny, that is.
- Lou reached into his old bag of tricks in trading for Greene, whom he signed as undrafted free agent to the Devils back in 2006. [The Athletic]
- And Greene adds that coveted veteran experience to this lineup. He plays a lot of minutes, so Barry Trotz will probably feel comfortable spreading minutes to him. [Islanders]
- Noah Dobson was probably coming out after his rough game in Vegas, but the Greene trade, combined with the move below, makes him the odd man out. [Newsday]
The Islanders sent Sebastian Aho back to Bridgeport to make room for him.
#Isles Transaction: Sebastian Aho has been returned on loan to Bridgeport.— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 16, 2020
- Let’s preview today’s game, shall we? Still no word if Greene will officially be in the lineup. But I’d bet he will be.
- The Jr. Islanders are in Quebec playing in a tournament and they won their first game against Team Japan. [Islanders]
Saturday’s and Sunday’s NHL scores. On Saturday, the Flyers lost to the Lightning, the Capitals lost to Arizona, and the Panthers lost to the Oilers, all in regulation. On Sunday, the Penguins beat the Red Wings and the Rangers lost to the Bruins, both in regulation, while the Hurricanes and Blue Jackets both lost in extra time: Carolina to Edmonton in OT, Columbus to New Jersey in the shootout. Today, the Islanders are in third in the Metro by virtue of games in hand on Columbus.
- The Kings and Avalanche played in a Stadium Series game on Saturday at the Air Force’s Falcon Stadium. Los Angeles won 3-1 on Tyler Toffoli’s hat trick, the first in an outdoor game, but thousands of fans missed large portions of the game due to the disaster that was the traffic in and out of the area. [ESPN]
- New Jersey was busy yesterday: they traded Blake Coleman to Tampa Bay for forward prospect Nolan Foote and a first-round pick. [NHL]
- And interim GM and old friend Tom Fitzgerald says he may not be done. [NHL]
- The Sharks’ Evander Kane was suspended 3 games for elbowing the Jets’ Neal Pionk. He was not happy about the punishment in relation to other punishments the Department of Player Safety has doled out. [Fear the Fin]
- San Jose also lost Erik Karlsson for the year with a broken thumb. No sense rushing back in a lost season. [FTF]
- Winnipeg, meanwhile, will be without Bryan Little’s services for the rest of the season—he has a perforated eardrum. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Duncan Keith doesn’t want to get traded, and Brenden Dillon and Tyler Toffoli know they will be. [NHL Trade Buzz]
- An interesting externality of the coronavirus outbreak is the concern of a hockey stick shortage. [AP News]
- The Ducks are really thankful for their outstanding medical team after seeing the way they saved Jay Bouwmeester’s life. [The Athletic]