The Islanders came to play last night in D.C., getting off to a rare offensive-outburst start and then, after letting the Capitals back in during the second period, shut the door in Trotzian style for the third.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
- About last night: [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | Japers’ Rink] Bonus: The Isles held Ovechkin off the scoresheet during his quest for 700. [Newsday]
- Be honest here: Not only did Ross Johnston “pack a punch” in an episode of frontier justice last night, he also carried the puck and distributed it well. [Newsday]
- The Islanders created more room on their 50-man roster for possible deadline moves and created more playing time for Bode Wilde by assigning him back to his junior club, OHL Saginaw. He’s played 20 games in Bridgeport after having his season delayed with an offseason ankle injury. [Isles | MLive]
- That and updates on several more like Felix Bibeau and Reece Newkirk in the Isles Prospect Report. [Isles]
- This made brief waves yesterday but isn’t all that...unexpected, really? The Islanders’ Belmont agreement includes a 25-year “non-relocation” agreement. [Newsday | WFAN]
- Now for something completely different: In addition to reviewing recent games and Kieffer Bellows’ start, Joe’s latest PTIsles discusses balancing parenting and busy youth sports with Tyler Gilden, host of the ‘No Days Off’ podcast from Whistle Sports. [LHH Podcasts]
- Just like the rest of us, Radar the puppy is learning the importance of shutting out distractions. [Isles]
- Old man shouts at clouds about Original Six romance and says the Islanders should acquire Devils forwards. [Post]
- The Penguins finally pulled off a trade for Jason Zucker, a target of theirs since at least last summer who is a good all-around player with three years left on his deal. Guess the Penguins just needed to send a mole, Billy “McNulty” Guerin, over to run the Wild and make it happen. They gave up disappointing Alex Galchenyuk, a 2020 (likely late) first-round pick and prospect Calen Addison. [TSN | NHL] The Internet reacts in Pittsburgh’s favor. [PensBurgh]
- To think, Zucker was “tuning out” trade rumors just yesterday.
- Their defenseman John Marino had successful facial surgery after taking a puck to the face on the penalty kill. [Penguins]
- What to expect from every team at the trade deadline. [Athletic]
- The Blue Jackets are looking at some time without Seth Jones, placed on IR due to an ankle injury. [NHL]