The NHL news from the weekend: the league says a Jan. 1 start “remains the objective,” though there is much to be ironed out between negotiating parties and, of course, everything is up in the air. I’ve seen reports of a “home-and-home” schedule and other things, but it’s all speculation at this point.
- Andrew Gross discusses the Ryan Pulock contract and its implications for Mathew Barzal. [Island Ice @ Newsday]
- Mollie Walker discusses the same as guest of the Hockey Night in NY podcast.
- Stan Fischler recalls Ziggy Palffy’s scoreless five-game NHL debut, and the potential it foretold. I recall creating him on the EA Sports NHL game and making him an immediate superstar. [Isles]
- Fun Fact: After returning to Slovakia (must’ve been poisoned by his Penguins experience), Palffy played through age 40. [HockeyDB]
- Best fan moment of a year that sadly had too few of them:
The best fan moment of the 2019-20 #IslesAwards goes to...— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 9, 2020
Our AMAZING fans greeting the #Isles at the airport when they returned home from playoffs!
Thanks to everyone who voted for their favorite moments! pic.twitter.com/hR2OAZAKKb
- Every team graded by contact efficiency. [Athletic]
- Young NHL player agent and freind to many NHL stars, Bayne Pettinger comes out; perhaps the positive reception will pave the way for players. [Athletic]
- Six teams that might be something or might be nothing, it’s tough to say. [Down Goes Brown @ Athletic]
R.I.P., Alex Trebec.