Mike and Dan pay tribute to Islanders legend Johnny Boychuk, whose career has been cut short due to an eye injury, and all of the things the rugged defenseman brought to the team in his six years on the Island.
They talk about how beloved he is both in the Islanders locker room and around the NHL, how his trade changed the perception of the franchise and how his babyface belied the sort of old school, tough-as-nails competitor that he was. Later, they discuss the contract implications of Boychuk’s salary being diverted to sign other players and how the Islanders can fill the hole left by his absence.
ALSO: They tease a new Islanders podcast that they’ll be working on soon.
- Here’s our story on the Boychuk news.
- The Islanders site has a bunch of cool stories about JB, particularly this one about the mark he left on the franchise.
- One thing we’ll never forget: This leather jacket, purchased by Boychuk from eBay, that went to the Islanders Player of the Game. It’s still awesome.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Johnny” by Thin Lizzy.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.