The second day of the NHL draft (rounds 2-7) is today at the odd hour — everything is odd this year — of 11:30 a.m. on a Wednesday. In the U.S. you can follow along on NHL Network.
I didn’t notice much “surprise” at how the first round unfolded yesterday, other than Craig Button turning his McGuire-o-meter up to 11 and Alex Trebek announcing a Senators pick.
Feel free to discuss the picks more below (lots discussed them in yesterday’s thread too), but I’ve got nothing to add. It was 31 picks the Islanders didn’t have a crack at and I’ll remember their names when I have to hate them in a playoff series to be named later.
- They don’t pick until late in the third round (90th overall) today, but the Isles are prepared and confident heading into the second day of the draft. [Isles]
- Arthur Staple previewed the draft and other looming decisions on the latest No Sleep Till Belmont podcast.
- The arena at Belmont and the health provider have reached a partnership in which considerations and financials will exchange hands and you will hopefully mention their names. [Isles]
- From a couple of days ago, but ICYMI: Staple surveyed agents and execs for their thoughts on the Isles’ three key RFAs. [Athletic]
Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan on Henrik Lundqvist: "We're looking for a backup veteran goaltender. He's a really solid candidate for us."— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) October 7, 2020
- INSTANT FIRST ROUND DRAFT GRADES: [Athletic]
- The Canadiens and Blue Jackets made a splash by swapping Max Domi for Josh Anderson. [NHL | Reactions: TSN | Jackets Cannon | For the Habs, it’s about forward balance...HEOTP]
- Boy, who saw that coming, Part 1: The Habs are also prepping to buy out seldom-used Karl Alzner. [NHL]
- Boy, who saw that coming, Part 2: The Penguins will buy out Jack Johnson, one of James Rutherford’s most curious mistakes. [NHL] It’s been only TWO YEARS and that deal was every bit as awful as expected from Day 1. [PensBurgh]
- Rumblings on the league-wide cap squeeze include the Lightning looking to sell (even Steven Stamkos in the discussion?) and the Rangers feeling tight, possibly not offering a QO to Ryan Strome. [Athletic]
- The Sharks landed their “goalie who’s been a #1” by trading, cheap, for Devan Dubnyk of the Wild. [NHL | Fear the Fin | Hockey Wilderness]
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson has a NTC and doesn’t want to leave Arizona. So he’s set a Friday deadline for them moving him to either the Bruins or Canucks, or calling it off. [NHL]
- The Capitals re-signed Brenden Dillon for four years. [NHL | Japers’ Rink]
- The Red Wings will buy out Justin Abdelkater. [Score]
- Heh, Wayne Simmonds would be a good candidate for the Leafs or Habs... [Athletic | PPP]
- ...because...wait for it...Kyle Dubas says the Leafs need to be more difficult to play against. Not sure 2021 Simmonds is the answer there. [TSN]
- Meanwhile, where is all of this headed? The NHL acknowledged that Dec. 1 is unrealistic and they are now sketching for a Jan. 1 start to the 20
20-21 season. [NHL]