Mike and Dan look ahead to an unusual NHL draft and free agency period, and back at a player that still has a deep connection to Long Island.
They discuss the Islanders’ lack of picks heading into the two-day draft, their high profile Restricted Free Agents, and whether any other NHL GM is interested in pissing off Lou Lamoriello by signing one to an offer sheet. They look over the list of Unrestricted Free Agents and how October 9th is this year’s July 1st, aka “Canada Day II.”
In the second half, they talk about Robin Lehner’s enduring and weird (in a good way) relationship to Islanders fans, and how writers have refused to acknowledge that story and others who have “broken the 4th wall” between team and fan.
Finally, they shred a recent column that managed to make a shared Islanders fans’ dream come true.
- The only man to trust about any upcoming NHL Draft is Bob McKenzie.
- Here’s where the Islanders stand with picks heading into Tuesday/Wednesday. Subject to change.
- Following buyouts, Michael Grabner is a free agent, as is Henrik Lunqvist. We had our say about the Rangers goalie a few episodes back.
- Yup. Robin Lehner still hearts Long Islanders.
- An article about RFAs written by two guys who (apparently) hate Long Islanders.
- Finally: The Steve Simmons article we’ll be talking about all offseason. Again, it is terrible. But you should read it.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Changes” by Black Sabbath.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.