It’s Monday, Oct. 19, and instead of looking ahead to the first Western swing of the season, we continue in a state of cap-squeezed stasis, waiting for dominoes to fall.
- Last night Hockey Night in NY welcomed Dave Pagnotta of The Fourth Period, who had said after the Devon Toews trade that a Johnny Boychuk move was imminent. Lots of forwards still on the market. [Hockey Night in NY 10/18/20]
- Much discussed and recalled ‘round these parts, the Heals and Flats Show is the subject of Stan Fischler’s latest reminiscence, with the help of the SportsChannel producers who made it happen. Includes some clips of yore. [Isles]
- Are the Senators a fit for former Isle(s) Travis Hamonic and Derick Brassard? [THW]
Lots of fun answers to this one. Who comes to mind for you?:
Name a #NHL player you were convinced would turn out to be a superstar but never panned out— NHL Nosebleed (@NHL_Nosebleed) October 18, 2020
Man, all I ever found in my dad’s closet was a bunch of plaid suits, some bowling shirts, and a cigarette holder from 1949:
Going through an old bin of jerseys at Mom’s would you care to see some? Stating with, Dad’s game worn Islanders jersey, has to be from the 70s, can’t get over the weight of it. The letters/numbers themselves gotta weigh five pounds: pic.twitter.com/oc2GhmyX1q— Justin Bourne (@jtbourne) October 18, 2020
One day the newest Cizikas will be able to do the same. Mazel tov!
- Lots of minor league players not getting paid now and can’t expect anything anytime soon. “For if the structure of the NHL’s 2020-21 is fraught with uncertainty, the entire minor league operation is in question.” [Post]
- Joe Thornton on why he signed with the Leafs: Time’s running out and he hopes to win a Cup. He even spoke with former 49ers QB Joe Montana, who of course had won a bushel of Super Bowls before switching late in his career to K.C. [NHL | TSN]
- Meanwhile, the cap-squeezed Penguins believe Cody Ceci brings “balance.” [NHL]
- Mike Keenan discusses free agency and coaching enforcers. [Iron Mike podcast]
- Henrik Lundqvist shared a picture of himself at his new Capitals locker stall and Rangers fans aren’t feelin’ it. [Post]