It’s getting to that point where the free agency news has tapered off — but unlike other years, that’s not because all the big names are off the board. Rather, it’s just really hard to fit all these big names in under a flat cap, and it’s hard for players to weigh the uncertainty of now vs. the expectations of the pre-pandemic time and the hopes for something better once fan$ and revenue return.
If you’re Alex Pietrangelo, you know there’s at least one team that will still
tamper give you absolutely everything (top dollar, NMC, trade key players to fit you in) that you want and party like it’s 2019. If you’re anyone else, you’ve got compromises to weigh that nonetheless surely pale in comparison to the pandemic reality that the average fan is dealing with.
- Free agency rumblings: Arthur Staple is hearing Matt Martin heard from seven teams but really wants to (and likely will) remain with the Islanders, the only NHL team with whom he’s won a playoff series. Multiple series at that. [@StapeAthletic]
- Meanwhile, to address their cap woes they (are “believed to”) continue to shop Johnny Boychuk and Leo Komarov. Good luck with that. [Fourth Period]
- Staple addresses all of the above and a little more in his post at The Athletic this morning.
- Brock Nelson on the Islanders: “It’s such a great spot. The history of the team speaks for itself. ... Everyone wants to win a Cup and be cemented in that tradition. ... We have a great group.” [@RTaub]
- Maybe that’s why they’re the perfect spot for Cory Schneider to resurrect his career. [Empire Sports]
- Revisiting the top RFAs, including Mathew Barzal at the top, of course. [Sportsnet]
Pretty cool interview with the teenager who received Radar, the service dog:
“Radar changed my life so much. I never had freedom or independence before him and now that I have him, I can do anything by myself. I feel like I can conquer the world.” @LiveKellyRyan caught up with our favorite, inseparable duo, Anastasia and #Isles pup, Radar! ♀️ pic.twitter.com/cklOzFyEuF— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 15, 2020
- Patrik Laine’s agents say, you know, maybe it would be best if he were traded after all. [video at TSN | summary at Fourth Period]
- If pandemic and travel restrictions mean there’s a Oh Canada division next season, how would those teams stack up? [TSN]
- Free agent sniper Mike Hoffman may do a Hall and take a one-year deal somewhere. #pandemictimes [@FriedgeHNIC]
- After filing for arbitration, Tony DeAngelo and Alexandar Georgiev have reached new contracts with the Smurfs. [Post]
- Joe Thornton will reside in Switzerland during the offseason and play with his old club, HC Davos. [TSN]
- “Nate chose trust and loyalty and what was said back then clearly is not what happened now,” said Nate Schmidt’s agent. Pierre LeBrun discusses the importance of NMCs right now. [Athletic]