After a New Year’s Eve where Semyon Varlamov’s heroics helped them topple the top-of-the-league Capitals, the Islanders opened the new year by providing no offense for the man. In truth, last night was a close game that could’ve turned either way on a bounce or two (or a video review gone differently), but alas. Zero points from the first meeting with the Devils.
Back at it tomorrow night in Taranna, where Sheldon Keefe is quickly becoming their Trotz and Savior.
- About last night: Offense dry for Isles, a third win in a row for the Devils. [LHH | Newsday | Isles | NHL | All About the Jersey | WABC]
- Adam Pelech never misses a game, so last night (lower body) was a rarity. [Newsday] [UPDATE: And it’s devastating, as the team announced today that he’ll miss the rest of the season with an achilles tendon injury.]
- The U.S. and Oliver Wahlstrom bow out in the quarterfinals of the WJC, losing 1-0 to Finland. [NHL]
- What a turnaround: Kieffer Bellows’ hot December made him the AHL Player of the Month. [AHL | Isles | Sound Tigers]
- The Islanders players weigh in on smelling salts. [Isles]
- Trading for Marco Scandella shows the Canadiens still believe they can make the playoffs. [Sportsnet | Eyes on the Prize]
- The Sabres used the pick acquired in the trade to grab Michael Frolik from the Flames. [Sportsnet | Die By The Blade | Matchsticks & Gasoline]
- The Predators are “not contemplating” a coaching change, so expect Peter Laviolette to be fired by the end of the season. [NHL]
- Using Goals Above Replacement to compare the All-Star selections with who might’ve been overlooked. [TSN]