The New York Islanders are still on a bye week, which is apparently cause for me to receive weird email from readers and also for some people to ignore Dan’s gracious pleas at the beginning of yesterday’s bits to just be cool. Seriously though: Just be cool. Is that so hard?
At this point, if you still don’t get it after reading Dan’s intro, I don’t know what to tell you. In the words of Judge Smails: “Don’t you people have homes?!”
Please just come here, have some well-intentioned fun, talk Islanders hockey, and don’t be an off-topic troll or someone who can’t leave a long thread alone — even when a regular you don’t like says something. Also: don’t be a paranoid victim. We’re all here ultimately to share in the common joy (and pain) of the Islanders. This site has brought a lot of strangers together over the years, so please consider these points as you treat your fellow commenter.
Personally, I’ve had four close family and friends die within the past seven months, so I am not kidding when I say my patience for visitors who constantly push the limits while also complaining about moderators or each other is at zero. Sorry. Life really is too short.
If you’re thinking to yourself, “He’s not talking about me,” you might be right! But also...maybe you’re not? It’s worth reflecting, is what I’m saying. Always reflect before commenting, for a better site experience for all of us. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
- Unbridled speculation that the Minnesota winter classic opponent could be not the Blues but the Islanders. I mean, sure, I’d take it. [SKOR North]
- The Islanders have certain protocol and details that are “black and white” and not up for debate, which allows for some versatility among their cogs. [Isles]
- Oliver Wahlstrom is learning lots in his first pro season. [Isles]
- Islanders and Sound Tiger vets (and Barry Trotz too) share some great tales of the AHL’s three-in-three weekends. [Isles]
- Pierre LeBrun’s latest on the trade deadline includes this: “Lou Lamoriello is believed to be shopping the market for a top-nine forward and possibly a defenceman. I think he really wants a centre. Pageau would make sense.” [Athletic]
- In Arthur Staple’s continuing series of fun player polls, the overwhelming winner of “biggest chirper” on the Islanders will not surprise you. [Athletic]
- Bridgeport Report: The Sound Tigers return from their All-Star break Friday. [Sound Tigers]
Fun with charts, and the Trotzian low-quantity-but-high-quality approach:
Shot quantity and quality per shot— Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) January 29, 2020
VGK get lots of quantity but the shots are also high quality too.
COL and NSH get quantity but the quality is low.
EDM, NYR, and NYI get low quantity but they take highly dangerous shots.
BUF and WPG don't get quantity or quality per shot. pic.twitter.com/J9fg1007nj
Some commuting notices for this weekend, when the Isles are back in action against the Canucks:
2 of 2: Of the 2 extra trains:— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 29, 2020
• One will go to Freeport only, making stops at Jamaica, Rockville Center, Baldwin & Freeport
• The other will go to Jamaica only
In addition, regular service trains out of Atlantic Terminal are:
• Far Rockaway at 4:14pm
• Hempstead at 3:44pm
Sparky was among 31 mascots in St. Louis for the All-Star festivities, this I can confirm.
Happy Birthday, Greiss.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOMAS GREISS!— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 29, 2020
we hope your day is as great as this save. pic.twitter.com/UxBKOFFbAb
Just two scores last night, none of much significance to our Metro and Eastern playoff needs.
- Drew Doughty’s 460-game streak is in jeopardy. [NHL]
- The Penguins reached a five-year contract with defenseman Marcus Pettersson, who is 23. [NHL]
- Tough year for the Jets, who have many reasons for concern. [TSN]
- The Flames (who lost in a shootout last night) and Oilers resume acquaintances tonight, with the Kassian-Tkachuk feud on everyone’s radar. The Battle of Alberta is one of those longtime rivalries that has had many chapters, and was forged when both teams were among the class of the NHL. Here are some best moments. [Sportsnet]
- This is sad, and substance abuse isn’t funny, but Ed Belfour’s mugshot after “mischief and intoxication charges” in Kentucky makes it look like he was still having a great night. [TSN]
Today is a #BellLetsTalk day, the purpose of which as I understand it, is to raise awareness for mental health and the need to encourage others to talk, not hold all your pain in.