Dan and special guest Carey Haber look back at the Islanders performance over a wild pre-All Star Break week and over the season so far.
They talk about what the team has done right and wrong over the first 49 games and where they need to better, and who’s up, who’s down and who’s out.
Later, they examine some surprising trade targets and remember an Islanders All Star that most of us seem to have forgotten was an Islanders All Star.
This one might sound a little weird. Or it could have just been my headphones.
- Arthur Staple on possible trade targets with both expiring deals and existing ones.
- Dom at The Athletic looks at the Islanders after the Adam Pelech injury and how their goalies have been holding up (or maybe not).
- Mat Barzal on his third period benching on Tuesday (more in Laura Albanese’s story at Newsday)
Barzal on his benching: "I had a bit of a mental lapse and then turned the puck over and it almost resulted in a goal against. We’ve had games this year where defensive errors have cost us games and he wasn’t going to let that happen again...I know an example needs to be set."— Laura Albanese (@AlbaneseLaura) January 23, 2020
Plenty more from Barzal in the story to be posted soon, but here's more from him re: Trotz. "Barry’s got my best interests and the team’s best interests...He’s been around a long time. He’s seen every kind of player, so I just try to listen to him...We’re fortunate to have him.”— Laura Albanese (@AlbaneseLaura) January 24, 2020
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Remember: We need your calls for the My Favorite Islanders Game podcast. The number to call is mentioned in this episode. So drop us a message and tell us the story of your favorite Islanders game experience. Lines are always open. Thanks to everyone who called in for our first episode, as well as everyone who listened.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Opening theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing theme song: “It Don’t Come Easy” by Ringo Starr.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.