The headline isn’t exactly what the actual quotes implied, but that’s how it’s going to play.
There are no talks, just media questions about if there were some talks, you see.
- After the previous day’s official site story, here’s more on Derick Brassard, from Brian Compton: “I kind of disconnected from hockey a little bit because I was just waiting to get dealt again.” [NHL]
- The most beautiful words, even if they expire later under the influence of his own agent, come from Mathew Barzal on his next contract: “I’m not really a guy that’s ever played for money. I want to help the team get to the playoffs again. If they want to talk, they can. I’m not too worried about it.” [NHL | Athletic]
- Following up on yesterday and the NHLPA meetings as a deadline looms to opt out of the current CBA in 2020. Reason for optimism? Eh. [LeBrun at Athletic]
- Torey Krug is 28, a pending UFA, and has had zero talks with the Bruins, who lost in the Stanley Cup final. [NHL]
- Twitch will livestream NWHL games. [Ice Garden]
- Alberta summers, like talk radio covering NHL preseason: Manufacture the drama! Something about Milan Lucic upsetting Oilers fans. [Sportsnet]
- Vladimir Tarasenko had injuries to his shoulder and knee (surgery) during the run to the Cup final, which the Bruins lost, but he expects to be ready for the season. [NHL]
- Auston Matthews really hopes Mitch Marner is signed in time for the season and don’t you just love the taste of all that anxiety? [NHL]
- Bo Horvat would love to be the Canucks captain, although choosing one is suddenly a rarity among the Canada-based teams. [TSN | Sportsnet]