Interesting roster decisions await, many RFAs remain unsigned, and who knows what trades might occur before the season starts.
In the mean time, click on the tweet below to open an Isles GIF parade about the season’s impending arrival in a separate tab. We won’t put any more GIFs here so as not to slow down your browsers.
Salutations #Isles fans!— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) September 4, 2019
Are you aware that the home opener is EXACTLY one month away? Please refer to the attached GIF. Follow accordingly in this thread to illustrate our excitement together.
P.S. We eagerly await your GIFs. pic.twitter.com/Bw8kMNSmud
- “I feel like I almost didn’t play last season because I moved so many times.” Derick Brassard is embracing a clean slate with the Islanders. [Islanders]
- Another new guy, Semyon Varlamov, loves living on Long Island already and says he isn’t trying to “replace anybody.” [NHL]
- Mathew Barzal was among the many famous hockey faces, both men and women, training with Darryl Belfry at his 88 Summit, so named for Patrick Kane. [The Athletic]
- Scott Mayfield is the latest Islander that the team site is catching up with. [Islanders]
- Yesterday morning, it came out that the Mayor of Floral Park wanted to take a meeting with Governor Cuomo over Belmont concerns. [Newsday]
- Yesterday evening, it came out that the Mayor of Floral Park will take that meeting with Governor Cuomo over Belmont concerns. [Newsday]
- Puck Prose sat down with good ol’ Rick DiPietro to talk Islanders, Belmont, Lou Lamoriello, and the state of goaltending in the NHL.
- Clayton Keller signed an eight-year extension with the Coyotes with an AAV of $7.15 million. He wouldn’t have been an RFA until next summer. [NHL]
- Connor McDavid hasn’t experienced any setbacks in his recovery from a torn PCL, but his return date is still unclear. [Sportsnet]
- There is no fit between Patrick Marleau and his beloved Sharks, who prefer to go in a younger direction. [Sportsnet]
- The Blues are unveiling a new jersey September 14. As long as they aren’t disposing of any of their current threads - their current third is one of the best sweaters currently in the league. [Icethetics]
- You often hear about the players’ union’s frustration with the escrow system in hockey, which basically is money taken out of the players’ paychecks to help maintain a 50-50 split in hockey-related revenue between players and owners. But the escrow problem is symptomatic of a larger issue: the NHL’s growth, or lack thereof, which leads to players losing up to 10% of their salaries. Travis Yost does a much better job of explaining this than I do, but the long and short of it is that it could lead to yet another lockout. [TSN]
- Still, after last night’s NHLPA meeting, NHLPA head Donald Fehr says talks between the union and the league have been “cordial.” So I guess that’s positive, right? Hah, yeah. [TSN]
- Somewhat adjacent to the previous two links: Gary Bettman has been elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame. He’s presided over some good: the spread of hockey to the southern U.S., for example; and some bad: like three (soon-to-be four?) lockouts. [NHL]