The Islanders have another preseason game tomorrow evening against the Red Wings. It remains to be seen who will be sent there and what players will still be around to be sent to Detroit, as some early cuts are expected in the next 24-30 hours.
#Isles will likely be down to 2 camp groups tomorrow after day off today, with a number of junior-eligible campers headed back.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) September 18, 2019
They may have begun the process already and just haven’t formally announced it to the world, since defenseman Samuel Bolduc’s junior club proclaimed his return. By the way, it’s Rouyn-Noranda, the team that Noah Dobson got traded to last year and the team that went on to win the Memorial Cup, so they probably learned about him through scouting Dobson. Making connections, and such. Hopefully Dobson won’t be joining him on the Armada this year.
- Arthur Staple has some thoughts on the Islanders’ first two preseason games, including about the Dobson-Nick Leddy pair and the “sorting hat” Barry Trotz has had to employ for his defense. [The Athletic]
- Sadly, the number of NHL-quality defensemen on the roster likely means that Thomas Hickey is on the outside looking in. But he’s still trying to secure a spot. [Newsday]
- The Isles also need to find something “special” for their special teams units. [Newsday]
- Otto Koivula has been getting the opportunity to play on a line with NHLers in camp and he’s trying to make the most of it. [Islanders Insight]
- And Devon Toews isn’t going to take anything for granted in his second NHL season. [Islanders]
- Flyers camper Kurtis Gabriel drew the ire of the Isles two nights ago at the Coliseum and Anders Lee may have injured his knee with a nasty hit. [BSH]
- PHOTOS: Wanna see some more close-ups of Semyon Varlamov’s ugly-ass mask? No? Too bad! [Islanders]
- VIDEO: Okay, you’ve earned something a bit more visually appealing. Here’s the ice being installed at the Coliseum sped up. [Islanders]
- The Jets’ whirlwind of a disappointing offseason took another weird twist — the leave of absence that Dustin Byfuglien, 34, took is reportedly so he can determine if he still wants to play hockey, which raises many concerns about their “window to contend.” To recap: Winnipeg has lost three defensemen of varying skill, including Jacob Trouba, might lose Byfuglien, who is still an extremely effective player, and they have yet to sign Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine, the latter of whom seems to want out. Oooof.
- Speaking of Laine, both he and Mikko Rantanen of the Avalanche are represented by the same agent, and that agent declared yesterday that neither player is close on a contract with their respective teams. [Sportsnet]
- Artemi Panarin scored a goal in his first Rangers preseason game (assisted by Trouba and Kaapo Kakko, for extra salt in the wound) but then left the game with a groin strain. [Newsday | NHL]
- DGB gives a cursory review of every Eastern Conference team’s offseason on the Bizzaro Meter, scaled 1 to 10. [The Athletic]