Mason Jobst went end-to-end and then slammed home a rebound past J-F Berube to give the New York Islanders a preseason win Tuesday night at Nassau Coliseum.
Jobst, wearing #66, was one of several youngsters to earn additional reps after impressing coach Barry Trotz.
Yes, it’s only preseason, but preseason is all we’ve got right now. Just enjoy the cool of the ice and the sound of the goal horn.
Oh, and enjoy this sweet setup and one-timer, Barzal to Brassard:
Tie game as Barzal finds Brassard on the power play. pic.twitter.com/ZFRVASerf2— Broad Street Hockey (@BroadStHockey) September 18, 2019
The Islanders are off today — well the players are, anyway. The staff will sit down and come up with a plan for next steps, which may include splitting camp or making initial cuts.
Here is Jobst’s winner:
He was one of several who impressed Trotz:
Captain Lee, too, acknowledged the work of the Young Folk:
"I thought some guys really showed a lot of confidence out there. Our young guys have some bright futures ahead of them and they are just getting their feet wet." - @leeberr09 pic.twitter.com/5l5h9CmHdY— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) September 18, 2019
No #Skinny during pre-season but this nugget worth sharing - @m_jobst scored at 4:07 of OT - the same time that Denis Potvin scored against Philly in a slightly bigger game — Game 1 of 1980 #StanleyCup Final. #Isles off to a 2-0 start in preseason. #NHL @IslesMSGN— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) September 18, 2019
I couldn’t find video of that one (though I know it’s out there, off a feed from behind the net), so instead here’s another Potvin goal from the series, complete with this delightful commentary line, “We don’t have one of those running shots-on-goal counters here at the Coliseum, but...”
- Mike Babock on Jason Spezza: He’s “trying to figure out if he’s interested and we’re doing the same.” [TSN] Spezza is in, still chasing the elusive Cup. [Sportsnet]
- Chris Stewart played both games against the Isles. He sheds light on life as a PTO. [Athletic]
- Why Brock Boeser went with a bridge deal. [Sportsnet]
- Another version of the annual PSA that preseason lineups and performances don’t mean a whole lot. [Athletic]
- Patrick Laine’s comments about wanting to play with good players on top lines went over fine with his teammates, they say. [NHL] But still, Blake Wheeler says. [TSN]