It’s funny: when I stopped working and started school, I figured that I would have more time to spend here. Ha! I’m an idiot.
Raise your hand if you get the reference in the headline. No one? Good!
But anyway, here’s the news.
The Isles’ last remaining RFA, Anthony Beauvillier, agreed to a two-year pact yesterday worth $4.2 million. A nice bridge deal to see if he can establish himself as a legitimate goal-scorer. [LHH | Islanders | Newsday | NHL]
As Arthur Staple notes, there appears to be a bit of logjam, now:
#Isles now have a little over $4.6 million in cap space and 25 one-way contracts, not including Barzal and Dobson on ELCs... Crowded roster with camp 15 days away.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) August 28, 2019
- Devon Toews is from a town in British Columbia just outside of Vancouver. There are likely a bevy of places to train out there and be around other hockey players, as well as his family, but he prefers to train for the summer where he went to college: Quinnipiac. And he’s not alone. [The Athletic]
- Matt Martin has had a busy summer: he hosted a number of events through his charity, attended a few weddings, had a bachelor party in Las Vegas, got married in Southampton, and honeymooned in Greece. How does he feel about all of it? [Islanders]
- The Alumni Corner catches up with Pierre Turgeon after all these years. [Islanders]
- VIDEO: Yesterday was the four-year anniversary of the passing of Al Arbour. Here’s the “Father of the Dynasty” video the team produced to honor him at the time.
The service-puppy-in-training named after the legendary coach also had an anniversary yesterday:
- Cam Ward signed a one-day contract with Carolina so he could retire from the NHL as a member of the Hurricanes. He was quite good for a three- or four-year period and then was a bit over-hyped. [Canes Country]
- Sabres defenseman Matt Hunwick appears to be suffering from a neck condition that will sideline him for the entire season and probably his career. Sad way for a career to (potentially) end. [Die by the Blade]
- The Jets trading Nikolaj Ehlers would be a regrettable move. Unless he was traded to the Islanders, in which case it would not be a regrettable move, eh, Kevin Cheveldayoff? Long Island needs a new Dane. [Winnipeg Sun]