But worry not, the thing is going forward, and the latest good news is to expect something else Monday: Empire State Development has scheduled a meeting of its directors at 3 p.m. to seek “authorization to accept and approve” the Final Environmental Impact Statement, which represents a significant step towards the beginning of construction of the $1.18 billion plan [LIBN]
Also Islanders News
Simon Holmstrom is recovered from his two draft-year injuries and is fancying the North American style of play. [NHL]
- How the Alex Galchenyuk gamble works out will be pivotal for the Penguins. [PensBurgh]
- In NHL free agency, it’s a good bet that most long-term contract will end in either buyout or heartbreak (or both). [NBC Sports]
- As expected and pledged, the Hurricanes matched the Canadiens offer sheet to (the other) Sebastian Aho. The NHL decided to use highlights of him in a Whalers uniform to accompany the story. [NHL]
- The Sabres signed Marcus Johansson for two years. [Die By The Blade]
- The Flames still need to shed some cap to re-sign their RFAs. No, please don’t talk to me about James Neal. [Calgary Sun | Pro Hockey Rumors]
- The Coyotes are hoping things are looking up now that they have Kessel and Soderberg. [NHL]
- The day with the Cup in Saskatoon. [NHL]
Stupid News Elsewhere
Where to begin? Noted media tool Steve Simmons floated in his Sunday column that Don Cherry — HE’S AN INSTITUTION YOU KNOW — wouldn’t be back for his long-running, only sometimes xenophobic Coach’s Corner spot on HNIC.
Apparently, and not for the first nor the hundredth time, Simmons was wrong. Cherry was displeased.
1) I must say I am hurt and disappointed that my friend Steve Simmons would suggest in his Sunday column that Hockey Night in Canada might not want me back for next year. I was told a week after the playoffs I would be back.— Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerDC) July 8, 2019
2) The question I ask is this… why didn’t my friend Steve phone me and ask me?— Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerDC) July 8, 2019
“My friend” the Korean dictator I mean Taranna columnist, why didn’t he call me? SAD.
- Also in stupid news, Long Island’s own Sonny MIlano (Blue Jackets) and AJ Greer (Avalanche) were arrested for their role in a brawl over a bar tab. Favorite detail: Victim injured his bicep. [Post | Cannon | Athletic]
- NOT HOCKEY, BUT: If you didn’t follow the women’s FIFA World Cup, you missed some things. [SB Nation]