Another steamy, humid, Long Island summer day... I think I’m ready for fall now. Plus, you know, hockey season. I mean, all the windows in the house are fogged up like when you breathe near the lens of glasses. What is that?!
- Live, from Day 2 of the World Junior Summer Showcase, Oliver Wahlstrom is getting lighter and faster, and it helped him score a goal in USA White’s game against Finland. [NHL]
- Wahlstrom, along with American Flyers prospect Joel Farabee, are eyeing the NHL this season. Failing that, they want to return to World Juniors. [NHL]
- All-time great defenseman Denis Potvin is hanging up his headset, or lapel mic, or whatever his broadcast team used — he’s retiring from broadcasting. He was the original Panthers color commentator, left for a brief stint in the same position with his hometown Ottawa Senators, then returned to South Florida. [Panthers | NHL]
Want to work for the Islanders Hype Team or Ice Crew?
We want you to join our #Isles Entertainment Team! Be part of the energy that brings fans to their feet at @NYCBLive and @barclayscenter.— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) July 29, 2019
Apply for the NYI Hype Team: https://t.co/a1daHEkYez
Apply for the NYI Ice Crew: https://t.co/n7noNbQ6yb pic.twitter.com/EpWwawX6qj
- The Lightning have announced that Vezina-winning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy has signed an eight-year extension (that kicks in after this season) worth $76 million. Their cap situation is getting a bit extreme. [Raw Charge]
- The Devils acquired the rights to Nikita Gusev from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a third-rounder in 2020 and a second-rounder in 2021. They then immediately signed him to a two-year deal with a $4.5 AAV. [AATJ]
- Apparently, Vegas was unsuccessful in getting GMs to take Ryan Reaves ($2.775 million) or Nick Holden ($2.5 million) off their hands, and they weren’t willing to dump Max Pacioretty’s ($7 million) contract to sign Gusev. [The Athletic]
There were reports that the Knights had received two serious offers for Gusev yesterday: the Devils, of course, were one, but the other was unnamed until last night.
The Golden Knights also received an offer for Nikita Gusev from the Columbus Blue Jackets, a source told The Athletic.— Jesse Granger (@JesseGranger_) July 30, 2019
Full story with details inside the trade that sent Gusev from Vegas to New Jersey- https://t.co/uj2Zf4QO6c #VegasBorn
- Garret Sparks called his last year with and ultimate exit from the Maple Leafs “emotionally taxing,” and I don’t blame the guy. Thrust into a role that even his coach allegedly didn’t want him in and then tossed out on his ass isn’t how I’d want to be treated. [Sportsnet]
- Down Goes Brown builds a Team Ontario 20-man roster, along with some Black Aces. No Islanders make the cut. The forward depth is ridiculous, the defensive depth also quite good, but between the pipes is a bit more questionable. [The Athletic]
- The FCC received a lot of complaints in regards to NBC allowing numerous iterations of “fuck” to air in the beginning of the Blues’ Stanley Cup celebrations. All the complaints are adorable in their own way but are mostly different versions of “Oh, my stars!” [Deadspin]