The offseason crawls along a few roster moves at a time. While some of the RFAs and UFAs have signed new contracts, others remain open for business, whether with their current team or new ones.
Brock Nelson sat down with NHL Network to discuss his new contract and Da Beauty League, the summer rec league in Minnesota he’s a part of with many other Minnesotan NHLers.
- Anders Lee also opened up in a Q&A with Arthur Staple about his contract negotiation, what to expect next season, and avoiding new contract complacency. [The Athletic]
- Josh Ho-Sang makes this list of six young players that could use a change of scenery, and it’s not wrong. I still would like to see him work out here, though. Michael Dal Colle was listed as an honorable mention, but I think his roster spot is solidified for this season. [THN]
- WATCH: Speaking of Dal Colle, he was interviewed briefly by TSN at Mitch Marner’s charity event about Robin Lehner’s departure, his buddy Mitch’s contract negotiation and whether he could be wearing a new uniform next year, and the Islanders’ success last season. [TSN]
- LISTEN: This link is from a podcast called Pucklandia, which I can only assume is a reference to Portlandia and that this is a Portland, Oregon hockey podcast. Who plays there? 2019 Islanders draft pick Reece Newkirk, who plays for the Winterhawks. And he’s the guest of honor on the show.
- Belmont’s endgame may not be about hockey — New York State, in the past, approved four new casinos upstate and three downstate. The upstate casinos are all open; the downstate casinos still don’t have locations. Hey, if it gets the Isles an arena, I’m all for it. [LIBN]
- The Seattle expansion franchise has named its first GM: Ron Francis, fired a year ago from the same position with the Hurricanes. Some folks are snickering, but unwisely so: the core of the Carolina team that just went to the Conference Final was acquired by him, mainly through the draft. [NHL]
- Ryan Donato, a forward who was acquired by the Wild at the Trade Deadline from the Bruins as part of the Charlie Coyle trade, has signed a two-year contract as an RFA. [Wild]
- Also signed to a two-year contract as an RFA: Connor Carrick, by the Devils. The defenseman was acquired from the Stars as part of the Deadline trade for Ben Lovejoy. [Devils]
- The Canadiens may have lost out on Sebastian Aho, but at least they’ve got Ben Chiarot and Keith Kinkaid! Wait, that’s not exciting. [NHL]
- Speaking of some other disappointing Montreal moves, remember the Jonathan Drouin-Mikhail Sergachev trade? That was two years ago now, and it seems the Lightning are well on their way to winning that deal. [Raw Charge]
- Ken Campbell really really really doesn’t like it when humans or pets eat or drink out of the Stanley Cup, to which everyone reminded him that there has been poop in there. He didn’t like that either. His blog. [THN]